Thread: Heating Oil Prices

Red face Heating Oil Prices

Regarding heating oil prices, Coan Bros. in Natick is offering not a lock-in price, but a capped price, which is $2.699 per gallon. This means that it will never go over this price, but if the price is lower, it will give you the lower price. They do charge a fee of $199 in order to guarantee a lower price if the price goes lower, otherwise with a lock-in you would have to pay that lock in amount even if the price went lower.

Default Medway Oil

Thanks for the Coan info. That's better than Medway Oil. I believe Medway has a .30/gal "downside protection" charge. If you're an existing customer, they look at how many gallons of fuel you used last year and multiply it by 30 cents. If I used 1300 gallons of oil, I would have to pay $390 up front just for the right to take advantage of oil prices dropping below the lock-in rate for this heating season. Seemed kind of steep to me. (I assume if you're a new customer to Medway, they would figure out your downside charge based on the square footage of your home.)

Taylor & Murphy in Waltham recently sent a promotion card for $.25 off/gallon for 2009, $.25 for 2010, $.20 for 2011 and $.15 for 2012 plus a free service policy for all new customers until January 2013.

Smile COD Prices with Genove Oil in Waltham

I've been buying my oil on a COD basis for a number of years from Genove Oil in Waltham (508-358-2213, they bought Wayland Oil many years ago). If I'm not at home I simply leave a signed check to Genove, with the amount not filled in, in an envelope on my front door. Their prices are similar to what you would get with the Oil Buying Network. A couple of weeks ago we had a fillup at $2.24/gallon, twenty cents or so less than the average oil price at that time. No complaints on their service and responsiveness. Tom Largy