Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40th Anniversary of Moon Landing

Default 40th Anniversary of Moon Landing

Monday, July 20, will be the 40th anniversary of the day that Neil Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the moon. Do those of you who are old enough to have followed this milestone event remember where you were when it happened or what your reactions were? I was on a simulated military operation at Ft. Benning, Georgia, where I'd been sent for basic infantry training, wondering how my life could have taken such a wrong turn that I was standing in a rain-filled foxhole and holding a rifle instead of watching this momentous event on TV.

I have a vague recollection of a tiny black and white TV in the family room of our Hendersonville NC home. I was 4 1/2. I really didn't get what all the fuss was about.

Interesting side story about NASA video ... that is, if the landing really did happen.

Default I was 16

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perlman View Post
    Do those of you who are old enough to have followed this milestone event remember where you were when it happened or what your reactions were?
    In the basement of my HS girlfriend's house on Longshore street in Philadelphia Pa.

Watching a large B+W TV ... a large one in a massive wooden cabinet... like they were back then as pieces of furniture.

I was a Mercury, Gemini and Apollo junkie who followed every aspect of the programs and flights. I absolutely realized the significance of the event and was awestruck.

Later I transfered that 'junkie-ism' 5 years later to the Watergate hearings which were not as significant but still more entertaining.

Steve, do you like the song "Lawyer's Guns and Money" by Warren Zevon?
    Just wondering... don't read anything into this.

Default interesting trivia

Alan, I'm not familiar with that song, but the title reminds me of a line by Mario Puzo in "The Godfather": "A lawyer with a briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns."

And here's some moon-landing trivia for you:
    Armstrong prepared a suitably historic sentence beforehand to be the first words spoken by a human from the surface of the moon. As he stepped off the spacecraft platform onto the moon, he spoke the sentence but left out an important word. He'd intended to say "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind", but he left out the "a" before "man". This resulted in a piece of gibberish, since there's no difference between "man" and "mankind". Today, the official commemorative plaque at NASA Headquarters reads "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind."

Default Garbled Transmission

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perlman View Post
    Armstrong prepared a suitably historic sentence beforehand to be the first words spoken by a human from the surface of the moon. As he stepped off the spacecraft platform onto the moon, he spoke the sentence but left out an important word. He'd intended to say "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind", but he left out the "a" before "man". This resulted in a piece of gibberish, since there's no difference between "man" and "mankind". Today, the official commemorative plaque at NASA Headquarters reads "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind."
    Couldn't we just say it was a 'garbled' transmission over 235,000 miles and he actually got it right?

Obviously NASA in 1969 didn't have a good 'spin doctor' working for them.

Did someone say "spin?" [grin]

Default Yes Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    Yes Jeff I was thinking of you but didn't want to go there.
    You should work for NASA.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    Couldn't we just say it was a 'garbled' transmission over 235,000 miles and he actually got it right?
    Alas, not even Armstrong contends that: he's remarked several times about his having "dropped a syllable", and he's rejected the garbled-transmission theory. He's asked that those who print his remark put the word "a" in brackets to denote that it was intended but not spoken.

I heard that transmission several times this morning and noticed a significant pause in the sentence as follows: "That's one small step for man, one [pause] giant leap for mankind." I suspect that the pause was occasioned by Armstrong's realizing that he had botched the first phrase and making a split-second decision to continue rather than to compound the error in the historic first sentence. Very human and very admirable.

Default Listen again for this...

Steve,

After the [pause] and when he begins talking again there was static... I remember it clearly. So it would have been easy to use the 'garbled' exuse. But yes he dropped the 'a' and he owned up to it.

Just imagine being the first to put your foot onto soil that wasn't on the Earth !

His spacesuit was thin and NOT the more advanced ones we have today on the shuttle missions. One pin hole and the pressure difference would rip you apart. In the sunlight its +253 degF and in the shade its -387 degF. Forget about sunburn and UV light... on the moon nothing is there to stop the X-Rays, Gamma Rays and Cosmic Radiation... just that thin foil spacesuit.

I think Obama messed up his inaugural 'swearing in' too. With a little help from the chief justice of course.

The prediction now is that by 2050 we will have some degree of colonization of the moon. I would be 97... assuming.... So the real exciting stuff is ahead for our children not for us.

A couple of days ago I saw on TV that Armstrong wrote a check to a co-worker for $10.50 to repay a small debt and he wrote it 2 days before the Apollo 11 launch. 'Just in case' so to speak. But he told that co-worker NOT to cash the check because 'he was coming back' and that the check would be worth much more. The co-worker did NOT cash that check 40 years ago.

The check is now in auction and the last bid I heard was $40,000. Go Neil !

Thanks for helping us remember this event and sharing this piece of Neil Armstrong trivia.

Oh, NEIL Armstrong! I thought we were talking about Lance ...

Default Oui

Oh, NEIL Armstrong! I thought we were talking about Lance ...
    Lance landed on another foreign body... FRANCE.

Mr. Dieffenbach has denied on numerous occasions that Wayland’s School Committee, of which he is a member, spins the truth.
    Here he jokes about spin, as if with a nod and a wink, acknowledging it.

Like his eNews post which he managed to get removed (but was later revived here), in which he makes fun of the overcrowding which his committee created, it is most disturbing to have an elected official make light of behavior and decisions that have hurt so many.

John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

Quote Originally Posted by John Flaherty View Post
    Mr. Dieffenbach has denied on numerous occasions that Wayland’s School Committee, of which he is a member, spins the truth. Here he jokes about spin, as if with a nod and a wink, acknowledging it. Like his eNews post which he managed to get removed (but was later revived here), in which he makes fun of the overcrowding which his committee created, it is most disturbing to have an elected official make light of behavior and decisions that have hurt so many..
    If this is intended to be a parody of the self-righteous piety and mind-numbing distortions that were in evidence at the Sotomayor hearings, it's spot on.

If, however, it's a humorless failure to recognize the satirical nature of Jeff's Swiftian proposal (previously) and his self-deprecating humor (above), then I'll let John's reaction stand on its own.

Mr. Dieffenbach has denied on numerous occasions that Wayland’s School Committee, of which he is a member, spins the truth.
    Here he jokes about spin, as if with a nod and a wink, acknowledging it.
    One man's spin is another's explanation. I'm not acknowledging any such thing, your fiction above notwithstanding. John, your schtick is long past tired. All that you ever do is try to destroy, destroy, destroy.

Accusations of spin from you just make me smile given that you're the perpetrator of the worst and most blatant distortion/mischaracterization on the DF. (Of course, I refer to your calling declining elementary school enrollment a myth in the very same thread that you graphically *show* the decline! Best of all, you continue to insist on pointing out your error in each and every signature. Priceless!)

Like his eNews post which he managed to get removed (but was later revived here), in which he makes fun of the overcrowding which his committee created, it is most disturbing to have an elected official make light of behavior and decisions that have hurt so many.
    John, I don't understand how my recent chuckle over Alan's observation that NASA could have used some spin makes light of any local behavior and decisions. Or are you simply dredging up old beefs that you have to, well, open old wounds and hurt people?

One man's spin is another's explanation.
    No, it's not. Spin is a distortion and misrepresentation of the truth.

Accusations of spin from you just make me smile given that you're the perpetrator of the worst and most blatant distortion/mischaracterization on the DF. (Of course, I refer to your calling declining elementary school enrollment a myth in the very same thread that you graphically *show* the decline! Best of all, you continue to insist on pointing out your error in each and every signature. Priceless!
    The "myth" part of The Declining Enrollment Myth is not in whether or not there is (or was) a decline, but in whether or not it was of a sufficient degree to warrant closing a school. Yes I do insist on pointing it out in each and every post because it IS priceless. The graphic speaks for itself. As do the videos.

Or are you simply dredging up old beefs that you have to, well, open old wounds and hurt people?
    This is a particularly annoying form of spin you've employed before - taking something hurtful that you have said and turning it around to attempt to make me appear the bad guy, instead of you. You said it, not me.

The wounds are not that old. Again today, I had someone telling me of their child's horrible year at Happy Hollow. I hear this a lot.
    Why don't you? Because people have given up on getting any satisfaction or even acknowledgement from the School Committee. I hear that a lot, too.

Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 07-20-2009 at 06:25 AM. Reason: to fix quote formatting and broken URL link
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/