Thread: A year of major losses

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A year of major losses

The list of high profile deaths this year is incredible and in such a short period of time. Death has also touched close to home this year for me with my father's passing at 89 - just weeks ago.

Perhaps it has for you too.

With Farah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, Robert McNamara and tonight ... I read that Walter Cronkite is dead at 92. He was in the same class as Edward R. Murrow. Cronkite's career goes back to WWII and was seen as the most 'trusted man in America'. He dies just days short of the 40th anniversary of the first Moon Landing of which he was closely associated.

What an incredible year of losses. Your thoughts?
    Or perhaps death is something we just don't talk about.

For what it's worth, I'd ascribe "major loss" to those who made the planet a better place. Please drop Michael Jackson from your list.

Default Please Reconsider MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    For what it's worth, I'd ascribe "major loss" to those who made the planet a better place. Please drop Michael Jackson from your list.
    Although your reaction to MJ is not unlike the reaction of many others and, including myself. I was not able to continue to listen to and enjoy his music after 1993 and, in my mind, I put his massive talent on the back burner but always kept the fond memories of his music somewhere tucked away.

After his passing, whatever negative reactions I had about the allegations dissolved and I was able to listen to Off the Wall, Thriller and Dangerous and purchased all three CD's 2 days after the funeral. Perhaps that was odd on my part but in his death, the objections and suspicions washed away and I could just enjoy his amazing music once again.

The size of the outpouring of love, respect and grief across all continents is prima facia evidence that he made the Earth a better planet. This cannot be denied and therefore, I cannot drop that name from my list.

Respectfully....

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then. I certainly can't assign any value to the outpouring--heck, millions of people probably love the Yankees.

No problems with loving MJ's music (I never particularly got into it--ditto, BTW, for the Beatles), but separate the art from the man. Same with Cat Stevens' music (which I *do* love)--separate it from the wreck of a "man" that is Yusuf Islam.

Talking Not the Beatles?

(I never particularly got into it--ditto, BTW, for the Beatles)
    NOT THE BEATLES?
    See this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQUapVeyweA
    (I had to change the youtube since it was taken down due to copyright so see it now.... Band on the Run)

What? Are you from a different planet? Jeff....
    Last edited by AlanJReiss; 07-18-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Pretending to like the Beatles is like pretending to be religious--an insult to those who have faith. Give me Jimmy Buffett, Meatloaf, Barenaked Ladies, Jack Johnson, and Jenny Lewis, and I'm in heaven. The Fab Four simply never rang my bell.

Default This Just In – Hell Freezes Over

I agree with Jeff D about Michael Jackson not being of the caliber to warrant a “major loss”, at least not to me. However, while his style never did anything for me, I still have a lot of respect for his well earned place in entertainment and musical history, even if he was a mess in his personal life.

I never particularly got into it--ditto, BTW, for the Beatles
    This explains a lot....

John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

Leave it to a bunch of guys... so Farah Fawcett is a major loss?

I've never quite understood why being well-known meant you were important. Doing important things makes you important. Maybe entertaining people is important, but Charlie's Angels doesn't cut it for me.

Here's an interesting list: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...IDE_index.html, though I have to admit it includes Farah.