Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missing thread by Jeff Dieffenbach

Kim,

Thanks for your response.
    I’m curious as to why you think this thread is largely in violation of posting rules. I just reviewed the 9 rules and I don’t see any that have been violated in this thread.

John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

Rule #1 about personal attacks is the one to which I was referring, though my re-read of the full thread makes it seem less "attacky" than it did when I read each post contemporaneously. It certainly isn't friendly, but it doesn't go over the line.

That said, I would like to issue a reminder that the forum is for discussing issues, not personalities, and ask everyone going forward to please be respectful of each other and refrain from any unnecessary unfriendliness.
    Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 06-11-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: to clarify that the debate didn't go over the line

Kim,

Thanks for editing your post above and stating that it seems less “attacky” than you’d thought. I just reviewed each post above and I don’t see anything that qualifies as a personal attack. In your edited version, you say that “most of it probably doesn't go over the line”. Not to split hairs, but does any of it? Could you clarify that?

I’m interested in sticking to the issues.
    To me, the issue of this thread is that an elected official in town that a lot of people voted for has made a very insensitive attempt at a joke about something that relates to a large group of people that he has deeply hurt.

I hope you don’t think this is a personal attack. This is an issue in Wayland and those who voted for him (as well as those who did not) have a right to see and understand the mindset of the people for whom they have voted. While his apology is duly noted, I’m still hard pressed to understand how this could ever have seemed funny to him and why it didn’t occur to him that posting such a thing would be like salt in a wound to many people, not to mention that it reflects poorly on him.

That this “joke” even occurred to him is rather interesting. To pick up on something Don said above about political correctness, I am not someone who is crazy about the way PC is used to stifle peoples’ thoughts and feelings. If someone thinks “bad thoughts”, I’d rather know about it than not know about it. Suppressing them doesn’t make these thoughts and attitudes go away. It just means that people know better than to articulate them because to do so would be politically incorrect. So, I am more disturbed that Jeff would even think such a thing, than I am that he posted it.

John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

So, John, you're now a member of the thought police? Have you ever had a thought that you wouldn't share, or that you did but regretted?

As with most "inspirations," I can't really trace how the blatantly ludicrous idea of double-decker elementary school classrooms popped into my mind. Perhaps it was inspired by something that I read on the Onion. Maybe this.

So, my mind was cooking along, the notion of absurdities arose, my career's in education, and potentially I thought, "Hmm, what would be some other educational absurdities."

My sense of humor, such that it is, is part of who I am. I recognize full well that it will get me into trouble on occasion. But I also know full well that it's done far better getting me out of trouble much more frequently. And, along the way, I hope that I've spread a few smiles. As a friend of mine wrote in my HS yearbook, "Jeff, take time to stop and eat the flowers."

Now that's funny.