Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing thread by Jeff Dieffenbach

Default Missing thread by Jeff Dieffenbach

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach
    Better space utilization at the ES level

I'm interested in Judging people's thoughts on a Unique idea for better Space utilization at The ES level. It isn't lost on me that we have full-height ceilings, yet half-height Kids. What I'm imagining Is something like a Deck or a balcony set-up at a theater. The teacher would have full-height space at the front of the room near their Desk from which to Instruct, but starting perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 of the way back, the students would be arranged "above and below," with the former being on a Newly created and Graduated platform.
    A thread by a School Committee member called “Better space utilization at the ES level” has completely disappeared.

What Jeff Dieffenbach posted was in very poor taste. As one of the architects of the dismantling of our prized elementary school that led to the overcrowding that all elementary families have experienced this year, he is the last person that should be making jokes about space in our schools.

John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

How do you spell, “touche”?

That's right, John, the post did disappear. I attempted a joke, unwisely, and it fell flat. A resident pointed that out to me, and I immediately asked that it be removed, never intending to do anything to cause more harm. Apparently, you have no such reservation.

Oh, and John, in addition to your intended insensitivity to the school community, you get high marks for spin, choosing not to post the several replies--including my apology--to my original post.

Again, I apologize for my original post and lapse in judgment.
    Last edited by Jeff Dieffenbach; 06-06-2009 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Addition of an afterthought.

Default Out of touch post by Jeff Dieffenbach

Anyone can have a lapse in judgement from time to time and that is understandable.

However, this goes so far beyond that.
    This joke, if it IS a joke - I'm not even sure what it is - is kind of like someone at the funeral of a murder victim, making fun of the deceased.
    But it's worse than that, because the one making the joke is the one who pulled the trigger.

John Flaherty

John, I've already agreed that it was a joke poorly made. Your funeral analogy, however, is even more absurd than the looniness of double-decker classrooms. And your insistence on compounding my error by rubbing people's faces in something that you yourself say might be hurtful is mean-spirited.

I fully appreciate that you wish to attempt to embarrass me wherever possible. I just wish you wouldn't intentionally hurt others in the process.
    Last edited by Jeff Dieffenbach; 06-06-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Word choice.

Seems I've said this before, but one thing I don't appreciate about our culture is that the media and many people don't allow politician type people to be human. They're not allowed to make mistakes, change their minds, or make politically incorrect jokes (which often are the funniest ones). I for one have done all those things. A related thought, wouldn’t it be nice to have a forum topic that was just for Jokes and Anecdotes. Funny things and stories about what happens around town? Might make us more like real people, neighbors, a community?

Another thing I don't understand is why some people seem to jump on Jeff at the slightest provocation. Maybe he's done some horrible things (I know very little about any of that) but I see in Jeff a volunteering, elected School Committee member who also spends a good deal of time and energy engaging with people here. Engaging with anyone, no matter what the level of their ignorance (like me) and it seems to go way beyond any sort of political expediency. I'd love to see more of our town leaders do this. (A selectman sharing here would be great, or maybe a wannabe school committee member or wannabe selectman could use this forum to help us people understand things.)

And John, what would you like to see improved about the schools and/or any ideas for greater fiscal efficiencies?

donBustin@verizon.net

I think it was pretty much downhill for me after the kittens-and-chainsaws incident of ought-five.

Default Time to recall Jeff Dieffenbach from the SC?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    I think it was pretty much downhill for me after the kittens-and-chainsaws incident of ought-five.
    Actually, I'd blame it on the overnight closing of an elementary school, Jeff. Or maybe it was the windows-for-schools deal? The sham hearings?

Oh, and don't feign anger when you open yourself up to it, Jeff. I would have guessed you had learned that people don't have a sense of humor about this subject after the ill-advised "stacking of children" post.

Jeff B., I think you're making Don's point. But, if it helps, I'll apologize: I didn't know they were your kittens.

Default Things are not what they seem.

Don,

I agree that politicians should be allowed to make mistakes like anyone else. They should also be able to express a sense of humor, however when they do so at the expense of a population to whom they have done great harm, it goes beyond bad taste.

You’re correct in your assumption – there is a history, and without the context of that history, this all may seem very strange. Jeff Baron alludes to some of this in his post above, and you can find more details at http://www.waylandtransparency.com . While the site is neither complete nor up to date, it should give you bit of background information.

As to what I’d like to see improved and any ideas for greater efficiencies, I’ll be happy to post some ideas to an appropriate thread some time, when time permits.

John Flaherty

Don, if you're interested in multiple sides of the elementary school reconfiguration story (presumably, to which John Flaherty refers), you might also take a look at these blog posts of mine (in my opinion, they work better in the order below than in the order created).

March 8, 2008
    February 27, 2008
    March 12, 2008

Also, I do encourage you to take a look at waylandtransparency.com. That's the Web site owned by ... well, that's odd ... it isn't at all transparent who owns waylandtransparency.com. I guess that waylandirony.com was already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baron View Post
    Oh, and don't feign anger when you open yourself up to it, Jeff. I would have guessed you had learned that people don't have a sense of humor about this subject after the ill-advised "stacking of children" post.
    Jeff B., exactly where did I feign anger? And are you really saying that my "kittens and chainsaws" joke was on the subject of the elementary schools? It sounds to me like you're trying to totally eradicate humor.
    Last edited by Jeff Dieffenbach; 06-10-2009 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Last sentence removed, I realized that it violated Posting Rule 1.

Another question related to the original post about Jeff Dieffenbach’s insensitive joke, why did WaylandeNews grant his request to delete it, and leave no trace that it had ever been here?

Kim Reichelt has repeatedly stated that eNews is unbiased, but what legitimate, impartial news organization would comply with a politician’s request to remove an embarrassing statement? I know of none. On the contrary, most of them would plaster stuff like this on the front page.

John Flaherty

Quote Originally Posted by John Flaherty View Post
    Another question related to the original post about Jeff Dieffenbach’s insensitive joke, why did WaylandeNews grant his request to delete it, and leave no trace that it had ever been here?
    As to your question of "trace," the "stub" of my original post is clearly visible here (currently, the sixth one down).

Quote Originally Posted by John Flaherty View Post

Kim Reichelt has repeatedly stated that eNews is unbiased, but what legitimate, impartial news organization would comply with a politician’s request to remove an embarrassing statement? I know of none. On the contrary, most of them would plaster stuff like this on the front page.
    John, I am proud that WaylandeNews is not like "most of them". Jeff Dieffenbach asked to have the post removed. I emailed Jeff Baron, who had responded to Jeff's post, to ask whether he had any objection to my removing the post. If Jeff B had objected, I would have left the post. The point of this forum is not to embarrass anyone (though all are free to embarrass themselves), it is to have constructive discussion.

There is a "trace" of the original post. Users who are logged in can see that there was a post, who created it and when and what it was called. This is a "soft delete", intended to leave a trace.

I am quite uncomfortable with this whole discussion, as it seems largely in violation of the Posting Rules. I have added a link to these rules on the navigation bar at the top of the page to make them more accessible. Personal attacks are not welcome on this forum, and while the moderators make every effort not to intervene in the debate, we ask the participants in this one to please try to behave yourselves.