Thread: Honest political commentators?

Default Honest political commentators?

Setting aside the potential oxymoron in the thread title, I'm interested to know who people thing are the most honest political commentators. I don't care about party affiliation or political philosophy, but rather, how honestly they convey their positions and opinions.

On the left, I'm a fan of Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow, but I find it hard to judge their credibility since I'm naturally sympathetic.

David Gergen and the late Tim Russert seem (seemed) to do a good job from the middle.

On the right, Joe Scarborough and Pat Buchanan earn my respect.

Upon further reflection, my MSNBC bias is clearly showing. Well, that's a former bias, as Comcast's decision to move MSNBC out of the "basic tier" means that I can't watch it on my no-cable-box office and workout room TVs.

So, comments on my nominees above? Other candidates?

My omission above of Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, and Rush Limbaugh is not an oversight.

Coincidentally, I came across this take on Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck, and others on slate.com.

Default Bill O'Reilly gets his a** kicked by Phil Donahue!!

It occurs to me that there are two types of political (or other) commentators that interest me, depending on mood.

If I want to learn, I want an honest commentator, and I'm happy with those all along the political spectrum.

If I want to be entertained, I usually want someone with whom I agree (Olbermann, Maddow), and who's a compelling "performer." I'd like to think that they are being honest, but as I said above, it's harder for me to tell. On the other hand, sometimes I find "entertainment" value on the other side of the political spectrum (the "dishonest righties"). This is what I call "blood boil" entertainment--it energizes me to advocate more strongly for what I believe. Coulter, Hannity, Beck, Limbaugh, et.al.--entertainers all--definitely need to be taken in small doses.

By the way, I would not surprise me to find that the entertainment effect flips for those on the right. Whether they agree with Coulter et.al., I suspect that they are at least positively entertained by them. And the Olbermanns and Maddows probably raise their hackles.

To put my original question another way, who are the best (most honest) "non-hackle-raisers?"