Thread: MSBA Q and A

Default MSBA Q and A

Quote Originally Posted by don Bustin View Post
    Might it be interesting to illuminate the process of how the new high school becomes a reality rather than waking up one voting day, like I do, to the proposed school saying, “how’d it ever get like that?”
    Two questions (with multiple parts):

1. If the HS was successfully voted to pass in a November 2009 TM then would Wayland be able to 'lock in' the 40% state reimbursement rate and NOT suffer the threatened reimbursement decrease to 31% ?

2. I may be off in my numbers but the state's design template for Wayland proposed HS is 900 students which is 190 GSF per student x ($/SF) which I don't know right now. But lets say that this calculation is $80M.

a. If Wayland were to build this $80M HS then the state would reimburse hopefully at 40% or $32M leaving the tax payers at $48M.
    b. Let say Wayland was not happy about the 190 GSF figure and needed more (Ref: SOS recent emailing on the deviation between the MSBA and what HSBC see's as their desires) and this new HS costs, say, $100M.
    c. I have been trying to get an answer from the MSBA on this but lets assume that the MSBA would still only reimburse at 40% of the $80M and then the taxpayers fund $48M + $20M overage = $68M.
    d. Another possibility is that the MSBA may not reimburse any amount unless the HS is built according to their GSF template.

So can anybody shed light on this series of questions?
    I am continuing to contact the MSBA and get the answers from them.
    Last edited by AlanJReiss; 05-20-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Quote formatting

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    Two questions (with multiple parts):

1. If the HS was successfully voted to pass in a November 2009 TM then would Wayland be able to 'lock in' the 40% state reimbursement rate and NOT suffer the threatened reimbursement decrease to 31%?
    My understanding is that our reimbursement rate will be set by the contract we sign, and that we won't move forward without that contract. The result is that voters will know the reimbursement rate before they decide.

2. I may be off in my numbers but the state's design template for Wayland proposed HS is 900 students which is 190 GSF per student x ($/SF) which I don't know right now. But lets say that this calculation is $80M.
    The numbers that were cited at Town Meeting were 900 students x 190 SF/student x $400/student = $68.4M. At present, only the 900 number has been approved by the MSBA. My guess is that the 190 figure won't change, but at this point, my understanding is that the $400 number is speculative.

a. If Wayland were to build this $80M HS then the state would reimburse hopefully at 40% or $32M leaving the tax payers at $48M.
    Using the $68.4M figure, Wayland taxpayers would pay $41.04M and the state would pay $27.36M.

b. Let say Wayland was not happy about the 190 GSF figure and needed more (Ref: SOS recent emailing on the deviation between the MSBA and what HSBC see's as their desires) and this new HS costs, say, $100M.
    I expect that the "overage," if any, will actually be much less--at most, several million dollars. And, any such overage will likely be in the area of academic (not co-curricular) program.

c. I have been trying to get an answer from the MSBA on this but lets assume that the MSBA would still only reimburse at 40% of the $80M and then the taxpayers fund $48M + $20M overage = $68M.
    Initially, the state said that it would not permit districts to build beyond the MSBA number. MSBA has since backed off of that statement, but almost certainly will not reimburse for any square footage or cost per square foot above their number.

d. Another possibility is that the MSBA may not reimburse any amount unless the HS is built according to their GSF template.
    As stated in response to (c), above, this is likely not the case. Again, we won't know for sure until we sign a contract with them.

Default Answers from MSBA Today

I spoke on a conference call with two employees of the MSBA and they answered a series of questions that I posed:

Q1: By voting to move the HS project ahead in a TM held in November, would that lock in the 40% reimbursement rate and avoid the 31% rate that is being suggested?
    A1: The TM vote in November has nothing to do with this. If any community under the MSBA successfully completes and submits an assessment study (scope) by the fall 2009 then the reimbursement rate at that time is the rate that is applicable under the contract. That being said, if the town were to vote to NOT move the project ahead then if that rate changes in the future then there are no guarantees that the original rate would apply.

Q2: What about the 900 students, the 190 GSF and the $400 / GSF figures?
    A2: Wayland will soon have to provide a certification of the enrollment figures which is a highly detailed process so the 900 is yet to be determined to be the figure. The 190 GSF is the published guideline for our situation and as for the money... The actual amount of dollars that the HS can be built under as reimbursed by the MSBA is, again, yet to be determined but the MSBA guarantees that there will be no surprises to the taxpayers when it comes time to make their decision.

Q3: What does the MSBA reimburse for and what don't they reimburse for?
    A3: There is a detailed and published set of criteria which they consider to be the core underlying requirements for a given type of school and with a given size of enrollment. This 'core' is only what the MSBA reimburses for.

Q4: Wayland's HSBC has stated desires which seem to exceed the MSBA's core criteria. How does the MSBA handle that?
    A4: All costs for the school above and beyond the 'core' criteria is not reimbursed by MSBA and is borne in total by the taxpayers of the town.

Q5: If a given town wants a school of larger cost then the MSBA core criteria calls for then will the MSBA still reimburse for the core criteria costs?
    A5: They felt that this was a good question and they would be willing to say that at this time the answer is YES.