Thread: high tension wires in Wayland

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default high tension wires in Wayland

We are looking to move to Wayland but have heard of some high tension wires around Hidden Springs Lane/Plain Road.

If anyone could shed some light on this topic, I would greatly appreciate it.

I understand that the Claypit Elementary School is wonderful as well.

Both of Wayland's grade 1-5 elementary schools--Claypit Hill and Happy Hollow--are excellent, as is Loker, our Kindergarten school. All three were recently rated top 15 in the state, although this particular ranking and such rankings in general tend to strongly oversimplify the characterization of a school. Over the last decade or two, Wayland and its PTOs have worked hard to ensure equal educational experiences across our elementary schools. (Disclaimer of sorts--I'm a School Committee member.)

Someone else will have to handle the high tension wires question.

Default High Tension Wires In Wayland

Yes there are high tension wires in Wayland they have been here since i have lived here on Nob Hill Road since 1954 they run along the old rail road
    right of way and Nstar Electric Maintains them i believe they supply the City of Boston as part of the electrical grid there was a lot of contoversy about them when Boston edison started the project years ago.
    Richard P Turner

Hi Eva,

There are power lines that run the width of Wayland along the abandoned rail bed.

But... was your question whether there were such power lines, or whether they were dangerous?

Here's a good source on power line safety:
    http://www.greenfacts.org/en/power-lines/index.htm

Based on what I understand, I'd worry more about microwaves and hair dryers.
    Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 05-18-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: fixed an "and" that should have been an "or"

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Reichelt View Post
    Hi Eva,

There are power lines that run the width of Wayland along the abandoned rail bed.

But... was your question whether there were such power lines, or whether they were dangerous?

Here's a good source on power line safety:
    http://www.greenfacts.org/en/power-lines/index.htm

Based on what I understand, I'd worry more about microwaves and hair dryers.
    Power line insulators can degrade over time and generate broadband radio frequency (RF) noise that can be troublesome to radio listeners and off-air TV viewers. Most power companies will correct this situation eventually. From an RF noise perspective, Wayland has been quiet over the past ten years - so either the insulators are in good shape, or Nstar has been attentive.