Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Thanks, and a pledge ...

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    [referring to Kim's citation of a Town Crier post titled "Reiss and Baron and Grasso, oh my!" ] Yes, I saw that blog... some body thought that was some shaving cream commercial but I know better thats from the Wizard of Oz...
    Exactly right: If you transpose the sequence into "Grasso and Baron and Reiss, oh my!", you get the same cadence as "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!" from the movie The Wizard of Oz. It's also true that the sequence of voting signs on many lawns were reminiscent of the old Burma Shave highway advertising campaign.
    Last edited by Steve Perlman; 04-09-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: clarification

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    117

    Default Volley

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    There are good analogies and there are bad analogies. This was a bad analogy because only one of these was a Registered Ballot Question Committee. Guess which one ?
    I do not know why this is a relevant comment. I believe the point is that all of these groups were trying to get the vote out and in spite of that we still only and 38+% voting.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    OK the 27th smallest kid is standing next to the 3 largest kid and about to slug it out.... sounds like a good match... ya think?
    I guess it depends on how long the line is. Since we know that it is over 250 and we know that they number 27th ranked tennis/golf/your choice often wins over higher ranked folks perhaps it is. Since the number 3 ranked is from 10 years ago perhaps it really is.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    Yes, I saw that blog... some body thought that was some shaving cream commercial but I know better thats from the Wizard of Oz... hey what are YOU doing spying on my lawn?
    You are on a main street we have all seen the signs.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    Zombies? Now where did that come from? I never said Zombies... that was a group in the 1960's (Time of the Season). Kim, this sounds like a Freudian Slip to me !
    Take a look at your comment just before this one about Zombies and you will see that you did say it.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wayland MA 463 Old Conn Path
    Posts
    382

    Smile 15 - Love

    Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    I do not know why this is a relevant comment. I believe the point is that all of these groups were trying to get the vote out and in spite of that we still only and 38+% voting.
    The point was clear, it had to do with a BQC campaigning for candidates but officers doing it on a personal level. (Which is legal yes yes yes)

    I don't remember WVN doing any campaigning, I mean there weren't any official endorsements posted there - did you see any?


    Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    I guess it depends on how long the line is. Since we know that it is over 250 and we know that they number 27th ranked tennis/golf/your choice often wins over higher ranked folks perhaps it is. Since the number 3 ranked is from 10 years ago perhaps it really is.
    I feel better now; its only 3 to 27 and not 3 to 250. In your analogy tennis/golf/'my choice'.... well my choice was boxing and usually the number 3 knocks out number 27... you agree?

    The 2010 census will be a very interesting thing to see and compare... I agree here. My bet: The wealth divide is wider 10 years later...

    Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    You are on a main street we have all seen the signs.
    Got me there... I was just being cute.
    I had signs up in your neighborhood too; but they kept disappearing?

    Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    Take a look at your comment just before this one about Zombies and you will see that you did say it.
    You have superior observation skills. But I said Zombies 3 hours after Kim did (see the time stamps) so my comment referred to her original reference before mine. So it stands..

    Blogging is FUN !

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    117

    Default Game Set Match

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    The point was clear, it had to do with a BQC campaigning for candidates but officers doing it on a personal level. (Which is legal yes yes yes)

    I don't remember WVN doing any campaigning, I mean there weren't any official endorsements posted there - did you see any?
    I think the comment was about getting the vote out and WVN was definitely supporting that. (My Point) That being said it would be hard to read a WVN newsletter that reviews the candidates and not understand who they support. It was clear from their profiles of the candidates, would you like me to post it with their unbiased commentary?


    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    I feel better now; its only 3 to 27 and not 3 to 250. In your analogy tennis/golf/'my choice'.... well my choice was boxing and usually the number 3 knocks out number 27... you agree?
    Check these out:
    http://www.saddoboxing.com/3765-boxi...ng-upsets.html
    http://www.saddoboxing.com/6324-saul...ssim-ouma.html
    http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxin...-morales-major -rematch-pacquiao-scotched/
    http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxin...upsets-boxing- history
    sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3374216
    news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/boxing/3517087.stm
    ww.independent.co.uk/sport/boxing-great-heavyweight-upsetswww.thedeadbolt.com/news/105086/top10upsets_feature.php

    Not to mention Rocky and the fact that they have you. My Point.


    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    The 2010 census will be a very interesting thing to see and compare... I agree here. My bet: The wealth divide is wider 10 years later...
    Based on the events of late 2008 and the impact on the wealthy I think you are way off. My Point


    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    Got me there... I was just being cute.
    I had signs up in your neighborhood too; but they kept disappearing?
    I never noticed any of your signs disappearing and if you are implying I had anything to do with "missing signs" you are way off base. But as you point out my point even though you did not score it that way.



    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    You have superior observation skills. But I said Zombies 3 hours after Kim did (see the time stamps) so my comment referred to her original reference before mine. So it stands..
    I read your comment and it said you never mentioned Zombies then I read the previous comment and you did. So you did before you said you did not. Sounds very John Kerryesque to me. My point again.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    Blogging is FUN !
    So is tennis.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wayland MA 463 Old Conn Path
    Posts
    382

    Cool Not so fast your playing on CLAY....

    Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    I think the comment was about getting the vote out and WVN was definitely supporting that. (My Point) That being said it would be hard to read a WVN newsletter that reviews the candidates and not understand who they support. It was clear from their profiles of the candidates, would you like me to post it with their unbiased commentary?
    Well thats a matter of opinion and you sir may have yours so no yielded point to you here.

    Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    Check these out:
    http://www.saddoboxing.com/3765-boxi...ng-upsets.html
    http://www.saddoboxing.com/6324-saul...ssim-ouma.html
    http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxin...-morales-major -rematch-pacquiao-scotched/
    http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxin...upsets-boxing- history
    sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3374216
    news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/low/boxing/3517087.stm
    ww.independent.co.uk/sport/boxing-great-heavyweight-upsetswww.thedeadbolt.com/news/105086/top10upsets_feature.php

    Not to mention Rocky and the fact that they have you. My Point.
    Law of physics conservation of momentum
    When two objects collide the smaller one (27th in this case) get the worst in the collision. Doesn't matter about Rocky... Issac Newton score's this one here for me.


    Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    Based on the events of late 2008 and the impact on the wealthy I think you are way off. My Point
    You may want to believe that but the more accepted proverb is that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.... no point for you here either BTDowns.


    Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    I never noticed any of your signs disappearing and if you are implying I had anything to do with "missing signs" you are way off base. But as you point out my point even though you did not score it that way.
    I didn't score any points here before and I certainly would NEVER accuse you of anything implied or not. I was just making a true observation. But now I have to score a point for me since your being defensive.


    Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    I read your comment and it said you never mentioned Zombies then I read the previous comment and you did. So you did before you said you did not. Sounds very John Kerryesque to me. My point again.
    The problem here is that you are thinking in (x,y,z) coordinates only. To get the real picture you have to think in 4 dimensions (x,y,z & t) Time being the missing element in the proper analysis.

    Unfortunately I have to give you a D- in Physics now.


    Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    So is tennis.
    Blogging, tennis, Physics whats the difference?

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    726

    Default I LOVE the tennis analogy

    Ha ha ha!! And to think the Crier had to turn off their commenting because things were getting so ugly, and you two have me roaring with laughter. Thank you. And how appropriate that I am wearing my Life is Good "One Love" tennis t-shirt for this debate! :-) How about some Canadian doubles? Can I play?

    Let me just get started with a couple of quick warm-up serves.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    There are good analogies and there are bad analogies. This was a bad analogy because only one of these was a Registered Ballot Question Committee. Guess which one ?
    And guess which one was the only registered Political Action Committee?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss and Ben Downs
    OK, this isn't a quote, just wanted to offset what I'm referring to: Regarding the discussion that Cochituate was #27 out of a large number of towns, maybe about 250...
    There were not 250 places on the list for which Cochituate was #27, there were 435. See this link for the full list - a list longer than the number of towns in Massachusetts because it includes "census designated places", such as Cochituate, in addition to whole towns.
    Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 04-10-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: to clarify I wasn't really quoting

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wayland MA
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    I cannot wait until the first time that I can say with pride, "I live in the Census Designated Place of Cochituate!" Village, schmillage ...

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    117

    Default I may be playing on Clay but I think you are on Grass.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    Well thats a matter of opinion and you sir may have yours so no yielded point to you here.

    Actually it is about getting out the vote please check Post #12 item #2 in this thread. Your comment about Ballot or Action Committees is off point so it remains my point. Unless you are saying that WVN did not try to encourage the vote. Then it would probably be a double point because even the reader who only reads what they print and does not pay attention to what they leave out would see that they reminded voters for voting day.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    Law of physics conservation of momentum
    When two objects collide the smaller one (27th in this case) get the worst in the collision. Doesn't matter about Rocky... Issac Newton score's this one here for me.
    I am sure this is not the worst reference to Issac Newton but I am sure he has rolled over as a result.

    Well so you chose boxing and did not like the outcome we have now shifted to physics. OK. Physics is not a huge leap from boxing because both rely on a relevant force. That would be mass. From your previously quoted stats Cochituate has 60% of the mass of Wayland. So in a collision what matters more than mass.

    I know you have written you want one Wayland in light of this I do not understand why you want to keep trying to pick a fight for Cochituate and then implying that Wayland is bullying. We live in Wayland.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    You may want to believe that but the more accepted proverb is that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.... no point for you here either BTDowns.

    Sorry no point for you either since this is off topic. By the way I should assess penalty points here.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    I didn't score any points here before and I certainly would NEVER accuse you of anything implied or not. I was just making a true observation. But now I have to score a point for me since your being defensive.

    Now you are channeling Freud? Please look at the third topic in post #18 in this thread. Well you did give me a point you just chose not to add it in to the tally. What are you a vote counter from Florida?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    The problem here is that you are thinking in (x,y,z) coordinates only. To get the real picture you have to think in 4 dimensions (x,y,z & t) Time being the missing element in the proper analysis.

    Unfortunately I have to give you a D- in Physics now.

    You are no Emmett Brown and fortunately for me you were neither my high school or college physics professor so you do not get to give me a grade. I reiterate that you are exposing your inner John Kerry with this comment ("I voted for the war before I voted against the war") and therefore I get the point.

    Game over.

    By the way Kim it is really your match not mine so I will step out and see if I can find a real game to play on this fine Friday morning.
    Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 04-10-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: to fix the "big grin" at the bottom

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wayland MA
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    Physics is not a huge leap from boxing because both rely on a relevant force. That would be mass. From your previously quoted stats Cochituate has 60% of the mass of Wayland. So in a collision what matters more than mass.
    I have just received word from Acceleration that it is most displeased with its omission from this topic, and will be bringing its acquaintance Power over to give you a talking-to.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    117

    Default All other things being equal

    Let them know that in my example I felt like all other things are relatively equal.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wayland MA
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Well, lucky for you, it appears that you just dodged having a huge can of Acceleration-Power "whoop-a55" opened in your direction! [grin]

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    By the way Kim it is really your match not mine so I will step out and see if I can find a real game to play on this fine Friday morning.
    Not at all, Ben. This is everyone's game. The courts are public. Just bring your own racket and an unopened can of worms... I mean, balls.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •