Landfill goes to Pay As You Throw starting July 1

The Board of Health is moving forward with the rollout of the Pay As You Throw (PAYT) program which begins on July 1st, 2009. This program includes a (much lower) Transfer Station sticker fee and per bag fees that strive to more equitably allocate Transfer Station costs among users. This program also encourages recycling and reduction of solid waste, which, in addition to being "green", will lead to lower costs for both Transfer Station users and the town. In fact, for the first time, recycling revenue Transfer Station users earned will go toward offsetting costs used to calculate the sticker fees. 

Another adjustment being finalized is the following: In response to citizen input, BOH is exploring an adjustment in the starting time back to 7am on Thursdays starting July 2nd to accommodate those that had previously enjoyed the early weekday drop-off option.

Click here for a FAQ that provides more details on the program.

2 thoughts on “Landfill goes to Pay As You Throw starting July 1

1. As usual, nice execution by Wayland (the town that thought they could build a new Town Center)… We’re a full week into the program and there is nothing yet on the Bof H FAQ about where to buy the bags, and even if you figured out where they PROBABLY were sold (such as Whole Foods), you would discover that they are SOLD OUT. Terrific.

2. Agreed, they do need post the list of vendors selling bags on the FAQ. I will send an email to the BOH about that. I do recall that they had a list posted in their trailer at the Landfill when I got my sticker (which I believe included Whole Foods, Donelan’s and Stop & Shop in Natick). They also gave everyone 10 bags with their sticker, so I hope you’re not out yet!! I’m willing to give them a week or two to get this working right (those 10 bags are going to last me about 10 weeks…)

I saw bags at Whole Foods when I was there a couple of days ago. Are they really out already?!

Leave a Reply (full real name required)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *