Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 55 of 55

Thread: A Ceremonial Mayor for Cochituate Village?!

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wayland, MA
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Price View Post
    I think political groups in town are not seeking to be the only such groups; that is irrational and not normal in a democracy. Those seeking to start new groups should be invigorated by the discussion and possible disagreement and not blame the "opposing" camp for forcing them to have to organize to get "their word" out. That seems juvenile and in the "did too, did not" kind of argument that I used to have with my brother when we were kids. This is democracy guys, not communism.
    My disagreement is with those posters who have argued against the creation of new groups. If they wish to reduce polarization and tension, they should address the issues motivating the formation of these groups, rather than attempt to limit or prevent that formation.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bernstein View Post
    As I said, any attempt to impede or constrain counteraction will be perceived as preservation of the status quo. Focus your concern on the mitigating the currently toxic environment before it gets worse.
    There is no north Wayland PAC, therefore one couldn't rationally characterize a south Wayland PAC (by whatever name, if it were to seek to "control the agenda of Wayland") as a "counteraction". If you're suggesting that the instigation of a south Wayland PAC would be an appropriate "counteraction" to the existence of SOS, that's an apples-and-oranges comparison that is equally irrational.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wayland, MA
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perlman View Post
    There is no north Wayland PAC, therefore one couldn't rationally characterize a south Wayland PAC (by whatever name, if it were to seek to "control the agenda of Wayland") as a "counteraction". If you're suggesting that the instigation of a south Wayland PAC would be an appropriate "counteraction" to the existence of SOS, that's an apples-and-oranges comparison that is equally irrational.
    I'm suggesting that groups will arise to counteract what they perceive to be excessive influence of SOS on town government, and will organize themselves as they see fit. Any structural constraints on these groups that you try to impose, well-intentioned or otherwise, will be interpreted as an attempt to maintain the status quo. The result will be more polarization and tension.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bernstein View Post
    I'm suggesting that groups will arise to counteract what they perceive to be excessive influence of SOS on town government, and will organize themselves as they see fit. Any structural constraints on these groups that you try to impose, well-intentioned or otherwise, will be interpreted as an attempt to maintain the status quo. The result will be more polarization and tension.
    The issue is whether a north-south divide, which Alan's memo encouraged by his "control of the agenda of Wayland" point, should be incouraged, or whether it was recklessly inappropriate to do so. Since you don't seem to understand or agree with the points I've expressed above, I won't waste our time by discussing it with you further.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wayland, MA
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perlman View Post
    The issue is whether a north-south divide, which Alan's memo encouraged by his "control of the agenda of Wayland" point, should be incouraged, or whether it was recklessly inappropriate to do so. Since you don't seem to understand or agree with the points I've expressed above, I won't waste our time by discussing it with you further.
    I fully understood your point two posts ago; it's counterproductive. By seeking to impose your will on groups forming to oppose SOS, you will accelerate the inflammation.

    If SOS is perceived to control Wayland's agenda, you lack the credibility to argue that other groups should not seek similar control, at least until you've made a substantial and visible effort to mitigate that perception (or reality).

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bernstein View Post
    I fully understood your point two posts ago; it's counterproductive. By seeking to impose your will on groups forming to oppose SOS, you will accelerate the inflammation. If SOS is perceived to control Wayland's agenda, you lack the credibility to argue that other groups should not seek similar control, at least until you've made a substantial and visible effort to mitigate that perception (or reality).

    I disagree, but I don't want to waste your time or mine with further discussion of the point, except to say that I'm not seeking to "impose [my] will" (a curious phrase) on anyone -- I'm merely expressing my opinion in the interest of avoiding a resurrection of divisiveness along the old "north/south" line.

    A point of personal interest, however: By using the phrases "impose your will", "you lack the credibility", and "until you've made a substantial and visible effort", you seem to be thinking that you're addressing SOS. You're not. I'm not an SOS leader or volunteer. If you want to offer advice to SOS, you'll have to address your thoughts to someone else.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Although I am not affiliated with the CVS Cochituate group, and therefore have no first hand knowledge of what they have or haven't done, it seems pretty clear to me that it consists of a group of neighbors who joined together to (1) oppose the former proposed CVS development, and (2) expend their time and resources to persuade the Planning Board to place on the warrant an article that would establish a zoning overlay district to regulate commercial development in Cochituate. I am personally impressed that this group was able to accomplish this in such a short time, and, if it passes (which I hope it does), it will certainly benefit all of Wayland to have a rational regulatory process in place for the further development of one of our only two commercial centers. And, as far as I know, there is no evidence whatsoever that this group is (1) trying to "counteract" SOS, (2) engaged in any battle with the northern part of Wayland or, for that matter, any other part of Wayland, or (3) trying in any way to control our town's government or agenda. In addition, Alan Reiss has made it very clear that, despite the interpretations that some folks have given to his memo to the Cochituate CVS group, he does not, in fact, wish to divide Wayland. Whether you agree with Alan's views or not and whether you intend to vote for him or not, anyone who knows him or has followed his writings certainly knows that he is an honest person. So, the bottom line is that the discussion on this thread is, in my opinion not related to any real problem that exists in Wayland.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wayland, MA
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perlman View Post
    I disagree, but I don't want to waste your time or mine with further discussion of the point, except to say that I'm not seeking to "impose [my] will" (a curious phrase) on anyone -- I'm merely expressing my opinion in the interest of avoiding a resurrection of divisiveness along the old "north/south" line.
    Your posts were quite imperative.


    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perlman View Post
    A point of personal interest, however: By using the phrases "impose your will", "you lack the credibility", and "until you've made a substantial and visible effort", you seem to be thinking that you're addressing SOS.
    Not at all. My posts are directed at anyone attempting to constrain groups forming to counteract SOS.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrie Glick View Post
    Alan Reiss has made it very clear that, despite the interpretations that some folks have given to his memo to the Cochituate CVS group, he does not, in fact, wish to divide Wayland.
    Lawrie, I believe Alan 100% that he has no wish to divide Wayland - that is, he has no wish to break the town into two separate entities. He also has no wish to create a rift within the town. However, he has indicated in his document and in his posts on this thread (unless I completely misunderstand him) that he does support the creation of a geographic-based Cochituate PAC. The description he gives of the geographic area goes beyond just the CVS area or residents who participated in the CVS group.

    I am confident that he has no bad intentions in this. What I am questioning is not whether Alan seeks to separate the town (he doesn't), nor the goodness of intentions (they are fine), but rather the quality of the idea.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrie Glick View Post
    ......as far as I know, there is no evidence whatsoever that [the CVS Cochituate] group is (1) trying to "counteract" SOS, (2) engaged in any battle with the northern part of Wayland or, for that matter, any other part of Wayland, or (3) trying in any way to control our town's government or agenda. In addition, Alan Reiss has made it very clear that, despite the interpretations that some folks have given to his memo to the Cochituate CVS group, he does not, in fact, wish to divide Wayland. Whether you agree with Alan's views or not and whether you intend to vote for him or not, anyone who knows him or has followed his writings certainly knows that he is an honest person.
    No argument with the first point about the benign intentions of the CVS Cochituate group. I haven't suggested otherwise, and I don't recall anyone else's having done so. As far as I'm concerned, this group merely requested ideas to revitalize the Cochituate area.

    As to your second point about Alan Reiss's memo, I fault him for getting carried away: after several pages of interesting ideas, he went too far and suggested a lobby that would "control the agenda of Wayland". Words matter, these words are reckless in their calling for a resurrection of the now-discredited-but-still-divisive "north/south" animosity, and these words were written by Alan. Whatever may be Alan's beliefs (and I'd like to think that he regrets having written these words), he showed, at best, poor judgment in making this suggestion and in not now disavowing it.
    Last edited by Steve Perlman; 04-01-2009 at 07:58 AM. Reason: elimination of redundancy

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •