Thread: Request to Jeff Baron and Paul Grasso

Default Request to Jeff Baron and Paul Grasso

I have found the question and answer forum to be very helpful in understanding the positions of the candidates for office. I read both Paul and Jeff's reasons for preferring a different type of forum, and I respect their views on the subject. However, I, as I assume many others, do not wish to take the time to fully interview each candidate to determine their positions, and find myself stymied by their refusal to participate. I know that they are both serious candidates, and that their participation would be greatly appreciated. And, the questions are fair and on point.

I respectfully request that both of you reconsider your decision, and give the voters of Wayland the opportunity to read your responses along with those of the other candidates. If you do, and anyone has further questions for you, I am sure that many would be willing to contact you individually.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Lawrie Glick; 03-14-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: grammar

Lawrie, my understanding is that WaylandeNews won't publish their responses as they weren't sent in by the March 9 deadline, but Jeff B. and Paul could certainly post them here on the Discussion Forum.

I join you in encouraging them to do so.

Perhaps the Waylandenews Board would permit them to post their responses after the deadline if they did so reasonably promptly. It doesn't seem to me that it would be unfair to the other candidates. Jeff - would you feel that it was unfair to you, since you (and the two others) met the deadline?

The WaylandeNews reasoning behind the deadline was so that candidates didn't poach one another's ideas. For instance, I might have taken Steve Glovsky's answer 16 for my own! [grin]

I support the eNews deadline approach--I could see an editing "war" kicking off, which puts a lot of time burden on eNews. And, with this Discussion Board and their own Web sites, there's nothing to prohibit "stragglers" getting their answers out in other places.

Fair enough Jeff.

Default Clarification of the rules and what's happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    Lawrie, my understanding is that WaylandeNews won't publish their responses as they weren't sent in by the March 9 deadline
    Lest there be any confusion, WaylandeNews did not reject any submissions that came after the deadline - there were no such submissions. Rather, both Jeff Baron and Paul Grasso explicitly opted not to respond and instead sent statements explaining that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    ...but Jeff B. and Paul could certainly post them here on the Discussion Forum. I join you in encouraging them to do so.
    I join Lawrie and Jeff in encouraging both candidates to submit responses here on the Discussion Forum. The questions remain relevant, and this forum provides both the interchange Jeff Baron desires, and the lack of space constraints Paul Grasso desires. [I will note that Jeff Dieffenbach wrote to us feeling similarly constrained by the 100-word limit, but willingly wrote shorter answers for our posted response, and provided links to longer answers on his own webpage]

We were clear about the rules up front, which were that we would not disclose any candidates answers to any of the other candidates out of fairness to everyone. It would not be fair to those who followed the rules if we were to post new responses now, even if they were to be offered. However, both Jeff Baron and Paul Grasso are members of the Discussion Forum, and have posted here many times before. They are more than welcome to post here now. I will contact them encouraging them to do.

As a member of the WaylandeNews editorial board, a former School Committee member (1982-1997) and a concerned citizen, I too would like to read Jeff Baron's and Paul Grasso's responses in this Forum.

Default Agree

I know very little about Paul Grasso or Jeff Baron.

I have had some back and forth with Paul in the past but it did very little to enlighten me to his educational priorities. The candidate profile Paul published in the paper was limited to discussing his experience in budgeting with nothing about educational experience.

Jeff Baron has not even published his statement in the paper.

I have seen plenty of signs around town but I am interested in the candidates. Any chance, Jeff and Paul, that you guys would consider sharing your position on all (or even some) of the issues?

Default Disturbing Information

It has recently been made broadly public that Jeff Baron is responsible for the website www.soswayland.com.

I am surprised that a candidate for office would do something like this. I invite Jeff to give us an explanation for these actions.

Default disturbing, indeed

Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    It has recently been made broadly public that Jeff Baron is responsible for the website www.soswayland.com.

I am surprised that a candidate for office would do something like this. I invite Jeff to give us an explanation for these actions.
    On March 19, the Town Crier published an article about the registration of a domain (www.soswayland.com) by Jeff Baron, candidate for School Committee, that virtually duplicates the SOS domain (www.soswayland.org).

From the Town Crier article and independent research, we know four hard facts:

(1) Mr. Baron created the duplicate registration.
    (2) Mr. Baron linked (or allowed someone else to whom he'd given his password to link) Alan Reiss's copyrighted video about the SOS meeting on his duplicate domain.
    (3) On the same date that the address for Mr. Baron's duplicate domain was circulated linking to Mr. Reiss's video, Mr Baron (or the "someone") changed his domain's public listing to private, thus making it harder for Mr. Baron to be identified with the domain that he had registered.
    (4) In the Town Crier article, Mr. Baron did not deny or explain his actions, instead making the weak and self-serving claim "'I've done nothing wrong".

This is a very disturbing matter, particularly since Mr. Baron is a candidate for School Committee, one of the highest elected offices in Wayland. His registering the duplicate domain may have been nothing more than mischievous, but its use to mislead someone who visited it into thinking that that they were visiting the authentic SOS domain is, in my opinion, duplicity. The removal of the public listing of Mr. Baron's name as the duplicate domain's owner raises the question of an attempted cover-up.

I had hoped that Mr. Baron would be asked about this matter at last night's LWV "Candidates' Night", but although there were numerous written questions on this topic, none of them were asked, and Mr. Baron did not address the matter. Perhaps Mr. Baron has a benign and credible explanation for these actions. If so, he should give it: Wayland voters deserve more than Mr. Baron's own self-serving assurance that he's "done nothing wrong". If he doesn't provide such an explanation, then Wayland voters can draw their own conclusion about Mr. Baron's suitability for elected office.

I just saw in the online version of the "Wayland Town Crier" a letter from Jeff Baron that addresses the SOS-like domain that he registered. Mr. Baron's explanation is as follows:

"Let me set the record straight regarding domain names. I certainly never sat down with any intent to register the name and did not do so maliciously. Like most things, there is more to the story than what appears in a short newspaper article. In regards to a name for a group of concerned Wayland citizens who were seeking with me to organize and protect our schools, a search using words such as "supporting schools," "save our schools" and "Wayland" produced an automated list of available domain names. As one of several potential domain names for the group, I bought it for $9. I had the domain name for months, never formed the group and, thus, never posted any content to its site. When SOS called me a couple of weeks before their public campaign to ask me if I’d registered it, I truthfully told the caller that I had and why."

Mr. Baron has thus provided a benign explanation for his original action. Is it credible? Readers can judge for themselves.

However, Mr. Baron has still not addressed, much less explained, the linking of Alan Reiss's video to his (Mr. Baron's) SOS-like domain or the de-listing of his name as the domain's owner from public to private at the same time that the video was posted. Mr. Baron?

My response to a reprehensible Town Crier guest column by Jeff Baron is here.