Thread: High Cost of Landfill Stickers

Default High Cost of Landfill Stickers

As most residents already know, the cost of the landfill stickers this year was off the charts. Does anyone know why? Are this year's users paying all or a portion of the costs of capping and closing the landfill and transitioning to a transfer station?

Default private trash pick-up

Our family uses a private company to remove our trash. I imagine that the prices at the landfill would go up as more residents use private companies.

Exclamation Off the Charts

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrie Glick View Post
    As most residents already know, the cost of the landfill stickers this year was off the charts. Does anyone know why? Are this year's users paying all or a portion of the costs of capping and closing the landfill and transitioning to a transfer station?
    The $50K capping costs are included in the landfill sticker price this year.
    The BOH does seem to agree that the capping fee should not be shouldered by current users, and also that revenues from recycling should go directly to the transfer station and not into the general fund.

From interviewing some of the employees there I was told that the number of stickers sold, even at the much higher price, was far beyond the expectations of the original model. If this is true, and it would have to be verified, then the landfill would become a positive net cash flow to the town. Some could view this is as good but others may view this as a hidden tax. I would tend to side with the latter in this scenario.

The pricing of the sticker is still below what a private company might charge but the curbside service is included. Some like the experience of going to the landfill and doing it themselves and the private companies may have limitations on trash volume and type. So a more complicated comparison has to be done to make a private vs. landfill decision.

That's what I was afraid of. People have been using the landfill for many more years than I've lived in Wayland, and the one-time capital expense item of closing the long-existing landfill has now fallen directly on the users for this one year - which at least partly explains why we're paying so much more than last year, and than other towns. How completely unfair. Even though I don't mind going to the dump, and even though I agree with Alan that it is still cheaper than doing it privately, had I know about this, as a matter of principle, I never would have purchased a sticker this year. I mistakenly assumed good faith and fairness, and that the increased sticker price was merely a reflection of the increased operational cost of running a transfer station.

Alan, do you know if there are other capital type expenses related to the conversion of the landfill to a transfer station?

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. I know that in the long run, it's certainly not an additional cost that's going to change my life in any way, it's just a matter of fairness and full disclosure --- both of which I expect from my town.

Exclamation Other costs and more information

Lawrie,

As you know, I've pretty much been out of the inside loop since April 2008 and I'm not directly aware of any other capitalization costs associated with the fees. It was my understanding that the high sticker cost was mostly due to anticipated transportation and disposal costs associated with the employment of a third party to do it and with the inclusion of the capping cost as previously mentioned.

The price of fuel has dropped dramatically since the model (and/or the contract) was put into place so it would be interesting to understand if that cost of that contract is still valid.

I also mentioned before that the sticker buy rate was much higher than anticipated so the amortization of sticker fees might actually be lower than what is currently charged.

To dig deeper into this I would respectfully suggest that you contact either or both our town administrator Fred Turkington and Selectman Joe Nolan who did have the direct responsibility as the BoS point person in this matter.