Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: School administration cost

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wayland MA
    Posts
    1,431

    Default School administration cost

    I find that I have a hard time locating the administration cost exchange that John Flaherty and I had a while back. It's in the "Salaries" thread, and starts in earnest with Post #9.

    [As Paul Grasso points out, the exchange about the DOE reported number for Wayland's administrative cost really begins with John Flaherty's Post #8 in the aforementioned thread.]
    Last edited by Jeff Dieffenbach; 09-29-2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Addition of the comment in italics.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    I find that I have a hard time locating the administration cost exchange that John Flaherty and I had a while back. It's in the "Salaries" thread, and starts in earnest with Post #9.
    Starts in earnest? I bet John would disagree with that. Whatever. Jeff, you indicated you were going to try to reconcile the difference between your (by that I mean the SC and SA, I assume?) definition of Admin with that of the DOE. I looked quickly at the FY 2007 figures in the FY 08 budget book and it seems that the DOE is looking at every line item within each category to define Admin costs. By doing that I get close to their $2.1MM figure. For instance, Category I of the Budget Book -- Regular Instruction -- has as its first line item a cost ID'd as "Administration." Same for Special Ed, and so forth. Perhaps we could better define "administration" in each of the sub-categories?

    I do have a larger question, though. The DOE website indicates total 'General Fund' expenditures for FY 2007 to be ~$33.9M, and Grants, Etc. add another $4.4M to make the toal expenditures to be $38.4M. That is a huge difference from the budget book which shows FY 2007 expenditures to be $29M. Note that I'm using FY 2007 budget for this data -- I'm not sure where the actual FY 2007 expenditures are but I'm sure there isn't a $9MM variance over budget (is there?). Do you know what that difference is, and are your per pupil expensitures driven off of the DOE calculations or the WSC budget book's?
    Last edited by Paul Grasso; 09-29-2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: more bad grammar

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Wayland MA
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Grasso View Post
    Starts in earnest? I bet John would disagree with that. Whatever.
    You are correct--had I read John's "Post #8" more carefully, I would have said that the point about DOE calculation of our administration costs started there instead of Post #9.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Grasso View Post
    Jeff, you indicated you were going to try to reconcile the difference between your (by that I mean the SC and SA, I assume?) definition of Admin with that of the DOE.
    I did--you can see the results of that "investigation" here (Post #25 of that same thread).

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Grasso View Post
    I looked quickly at the FY 2007 figures in the FY 08 budget book and it seems that the DOE is looking at every line item within each category to define Admin costs. By doing that I get close to their $2.1MM figure. For instance, Category I of the Budget Book -- Regular Instruction -- has as its first line item a cost ID'd as "Administration." Same for Special Ed, and so forth. Perhaps we could better define "administration" in each of the sub-categories?
    I'll try to take a look at the Budget Book number and definition compared with the DOE characterization.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Grasso View Post
    I do have a larger question, though. The DOE website indicates total 'General Fund' expenditures for FY 2007 to be ~$33.9M, and Grants, Etc. add another $4.4M to make the toal expenditures to be $38.4M. That is a huge difference from the budget book which shows FY 2007 expenditures to be $29M. Note that I'm using FY 2007 budget for this data -- I'm not sure where the actual FY 2007 expenditures are but I'm sure there isn't a $9MM variance over budget (is there?). Do you know what that difference is, and are your per pupil expensitures driven off of the DOE calculations or the WSC budget book's?
    I'll take a look at this and see what I can learn.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •