Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Our School "Reconfiguration"

The meeting on Monday night allowed time for several parents to stand up and express their thoughts and concerns. In case you could not attend, there were several concerns expressed by parents of the elementary schools, including:
    • Busing issues and bus stop safety concerns
    • Traffic patterns and congestion at both schools
    • Speeding cars / buses on several roads
    • Children not having enough time to eat their lunch
    • Storage at the school
    • Communication issues across the board
    • Changing school start / end times two weeks into the year
    • BASE concerns no school nurse on site/ no one on site after school to administer EpiPens
    • Teachers feeling rushed and frustrated
    • Need for kindergarten to be full day

Last year, several parents expressed many of the above concerns well in advance of the approval to go to this new model. These issues were either not heard or the planning to mitigate the issues was not done well. As a result, many of our children have been impacted and what should have been a positive experience during the first few weeks of school was not positive.

To move to this model there should have been a detailed project plan that included a risk/ mitigation plan as well as an exit strategy in case it did not work. The issues we are experiencing today span across the board and really need to each be looked at to determine the root cause(s) and fix them.

During the meeting, a member of the school committee mentioned that several of the above issues would not be the responsibility of the school committee. It would be helpful to know which group is responsible for the planning and the exit strategy, what the plan is to fix the issues, and the timeline to get them resolved.

Perfectly summarized, Jen, thank you. The questions I have beyond your list relate to the expense savings assumed, whether the fix(es) to these issues eat into them and by how much, and whether this was ultimately worth it.

Default the ol' "you quoted me out of context" shuffle

Quote Originally Posted by John Flaherty View Post
    .....it's real easy to take peoples' words out of context and either twist them around, or in this case isolate them from their original context and intent......Yes, I used the words "shut up" ... you make it sound a lot worse than it is...].....Go back and read what I wrote.
    OK, I re-read it, and it's just as offensive.

If you can't pick up on where I'm coming from from my tone, then I guess you'll just never understand it. .
    "Where [you're] coming from" doesn't excuse your choice of words. The English language is powerful enough to allow you to express yourself without resorting to ad hominem attacks.

I would like to thank you, Jen, for this post. Your post is simultaneously informative and inquisitive, and while it is clear you are not satisfied, your post is both constructive and polite.

I hope that all of who post to this forum will strive to achieve this level of civility in their posts.

Default an endorsement of civility

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Reichelt View Post
    At the direction of the WaylandeNews Board, I have made some minor edits to several posts in this thread. These edits (which are clearly marked), served to remove references to individuals. These individuals are private citizens and have not participated in this electronic forum.

We have had numerous emails from readers noting the declining civility of a small number of posters in this thread. They fear reprisal for posting differing opinions.

There is no place for personal attacks on this forum. I would like to refer all posters to our guidelines for posting.

I would like to remind all participants that their postings must be civil. This is a place to discuss issues, not personalities. Disagreement is welcome. Attack is not.

The Board reserves to the right to make additional edits if needed to protect the citizens of this Town from personal attacks, and to protect the integrity of this Discussion Forum.

As one of the WaylandeNews Board members to who Kim refers, I emphatically endorse the views that she expresses. What has distinguished the WaylandeNews Discussion Forum from the Town Crier on-line "comments" sections is that discussion has always been civil and merits-based in the former, while much of the commentary from anonymous posters on the latter are derisive and personally offensive. The people who've posted on this site have always been able to "disagree without being disagreeable", which has enabled informative discussion to occur.

The edits to which Kim refers, although minor, represent a first-time intervention to address derogatory personal references in posts by Jeff Baron and John Flaherty. Even what remains of their posts, which have been left more than 99% intact, is incivil and bullying. Their professing to have strong feelings is no excuse for being obnoxious and overbearing. I hope that there won't be a repeat of such poor behavior.

Steve,

The name in my post that was removed was that of a personal friend of mine and not " derogatory personal references", as you stated.

I think you owe me an apology.
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

Steve,

The name in my post that was removed was that of a personal friend of mine and not "derogatory personal references", as you stated. I think you owe me an apology.
    John's demand for an apology (apart from revealing a preternaturally thin skin) is so oblivious to what he wrote as to give new depth to the meaning of "chutzpah". Perhaps John should re-read his own uses of "blah blah blah" and "shut up and listen" (which were directed at Jeff Dieffenbach in John's post of 10:51 last night) to divine what I might have meant by "derogatory personal references".

Default Let's fix it!

It's crazy that emotions are still running high around this reconfiguration. I think we can all agree that this issue has brought a lot of discord throughout our community..no matter which end you agree with. I'm still hearing a lot of people stating the problems, but not much on possible solutions. Being disrespectful to each other doesn't really help come up with creative answers.

That being said, I'd like to thank Tracy for responding to my first post. I reread what I wrote, and my message came out wrong. I meant folks on the SC, administration, all the way down to principals and parents need to bring the community together without finger pointing and negativity. Nothing feels right yet. Usually time helps, but I feel time has made things worse. We are extremely fortunate to have many parents who volunteer their time to our schools in many ways. Debbie B. was warmly responsive to my concerns. I do feel people are trying.

I am working on doing a better job myself to come up with creative solutions. I like Jen's idea of working on a timeline/strategy to move forward.
    We need to start somewhere. Put all this energy into answering this question; What are some possible solutions to move Wayland's Elementary Schools forward?

My idea: Full day K starting Fall 09! How? Creative budgeting. Grants, tuition based fees, consolidate athleics and special programs with a neighboring town if possible, implement bus fees., go back to 3 ES school model to save transportation fees by making routes more effecient. What do you think? Does anyone have different ideas? (I'm trying here)
    I'd be glad to discuss why full day K would make Wayland K- 1 grades stronger.

Default What's happening?

I am not sure I understand what is going on.

Jeff Dieffenbach was the poster who first used the name of a woman who has not been to this website. I understood that to be the offending post.
    Why did Mr. Perlman use that as an opportunity to attack the posters John & Jeff, but not Mr. Dieffenbach?

It was already made clear by Kim what the offense was, and that she likes to maintain civility here.

If the goal is to have constructive conversation, then I am surprised by the above post.

There are a couple of issues going on:

One is that there is a lot of uncivil discourse, and I hope that the repeated warnings regarding it will remind everyone that the point of this forum is to allow for discussion, not to allow for attacks on people. I think this is the primary issue that Steve was addressing.

The other is the issue of bringing in individuals who are not involved in the forum, aren't elected officials, and (understandably) don't want to be hung out for public discussion. This is the issue that we addressed when we edited the posts. (As anyone can see, the editing was minimal; XXXX's replaced a person's name in several instances.)

The first issue is more difficult to address, because to edit or delete large numbers of posts seemed more radical a reaction than we thought necessary. Frankly, when someone writes a post that is uncivil, it reflects far more poorly upon them than upon the people they may be addressing in their post.

The second issue was easy to address, so we did what we thought necessary.

I welcome comment on the handling of this thread. Perhaps there's a better way? If anyone is interested, it probably warrants a new thread of its own, rather than cluttering this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Reichelt View Post
    I welcome comment on the handling of this thread. Perhaps there's a better way? If anyone is interested, it probably warrants a new thread of its own, rather than cluttering this one.
    Good idea. That thread can be used to learn new concepts in online scolding and this one can continue to focus on the elementary school issues and how to fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Barber View Post
    Jeff, are you just a volunteer?
    Yes, that's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Barber View Post
    Or are you a manager of a CEO responsible to taxpayers?
    You seem to be contradicting yourself.
    It's not clear to me whether your questions are rhetorical or not. I am a volunteer board member. I am not paid. By law, as a School Committee member, I am responsible for the employ of the Superintendent. It really doesn't matter whether the word I use to describe that responsibility is "manage," "oversee," "direct," or so on.

In the private sector, stockholders are not to my knowledge privy to the evaluation by the board of directors of the CEO. If I'm mistaken on that point, I would be grateful if someone would correct me.

I've put my response on the "Edits and forum management thread." I don't see a reason to delete/move anything, I think we've managed to tie it up here and move it there. My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    It's not clear to me whether your questions are rhetorical or not. I am a volunteer board member. I am not paid. By law, as a School Committee member, I am responsible for the employ of the Superintendent. It really doesn't matter whether the word I use to describe that responsibility is "manage," "oversee," "direct," or so on.

In the private sector, stockholders are not to my knowledge privy to the evaluation by the board of directors of the CEO. If I'm mistaken on that point, I would be grateful if someone would correct me.
    Having had full faith in the town's political process prior to the windows assurances, I am just trying to read between the lines- that's all.