Thread: Unions and Public School Education

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Unions and Public School Education

The role that teacher unions play in education is a complex one. Certainly, they can be easy to decry from time to time, but just as certainly, they aren't usually deserving of that treatment. More broadly, it is inconsistent to favor freedom, democracy, and capitalism but rail against the existence of unions.

To those doing the decrying, and to those like me simply interested in improving the quality of public school education, I ask a simple set of related questions:

Q: What do our teachers do well?
    Q: What constructive suggestions do you have for where *and* how to improve both the art and business of teaching?
    By law, teachers have the right to unionize. In practice, Wayland teachers serve our children far better than the letter of their contract requires. And as to the cost of this service, while fully appreciating the financial pressures we all face, there are few expenditures of my family's funds that I value more than contributing to the livelihood of these teachers and therefore to the development of my children in particular and Wayland's children in general.

Question Is unionization forced upon our teachers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    By law, teachers have the right to unionize.
    Correct; teachers have a right to unionize but do they have a real choice NOT to unionize when they are hired?

Has any teacher been hired that has NOT joined the union or tried NOT to join the union?

What would happen if a teacher tried NOT to join the union or tried to exit from the union after employment... that is; what would happen to the teacher?

One teacher I've spoken with told me that <he/she - to protect the innocent> doesn't like unionization and that unionization protects mediocrity.

What 'sayith' you Jeff?

Good question, I don't know if teachers are forced in fact or practice to join the union.

Default Union membership is required for MA public school teachers

I believe that MA teachers' union is "closed shop", meaning teachers are required to join the union. Some states like Texas are "open shop", meaning teachers can chose to be represented by the state union.

A Wayland teacher informs me that while most teachers choose to join the union, they are not obligated to and a few do not.

Default Hummmm

I would like to find out more about this. Maybe I'll ask the union itself! I have a feeling that the teachers are required to pay union dues whether or not they choose to be a member.