Thread: Summer Reading Suggestions?

Default Summer Reading Suggestions?

The Town Crier published an article on what people are reading this summer.

What have you read lately that you'd recommend?

What I'm reading ...

The Political Brain: The Role of Emotion in Deciding the Fate of the Nation
    by Drew Westen
    Westen intermingles anecdote and layperson-level science in chronicling what the GOP appears to understand more intuitively than the Dems--that the path to political success depends on far more than appealing to reason.

What's next on my nightstand ...

Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns
    Clayton M. Christensen
    I'm convinced that technology-enabled differentiated instruction will both improve education and make it substantially more affordable. I'm hoping that Christensen's book will help show the way.

A few non-fiction favorites (in no particular order) ...

Gaming the Vote
    by William Poundstone
    Poundstone explains why "one man, one vote" isn't particularly democratic (and wasn't particularly Democratic--see 2000 election, Florida). In an engaging and fun read, he proposes an alternative that better represents the will of the people.

Deep Survival
    by Lawrence Gonzalez
    Great set of stories tied together into lessons about why some people survive extreme situations ... and others don't.

The End of Faith
    by Sam Harris
    Harris pulls absolutely no punches condemning fundamentalism in all of its stripes, then proceeds to argue against even moderate faith. Before Christopher Hitchens' God is Not Great, before Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion, Harris' book launched the new atheists. Often uncomfortable, and not for the faint of heart, but incredibly interesting in its provocativeness.

Fast Food Nation
    by Eric Schlossberg
    Not to be confused with Morgan Spurlock's Don't Eat This Book (the basis for the movie Supersize Me), FFN takes a tour of the unappetizing but always fascinating fast food industry.

Thunderstruck
    by Eric Larson
    Non-fiction that reads like fiction, climb aboard as the invention of wireless telegraphy and a gruesome murder collide on the high seas.

And some fiction to close out the list ...

Mars trilogy
    by Kim Stanley Robinson
    Hard, incredibly well-written science fiction of the near-future colonization (Red Mars), terraforming (Green Mars), and "hydraforming" (Blue Mars) of Mars.

Hyperion
    by Dan Simmons
    The first of a four book, literature-quality epic far-future science fiction tale. If you don't think that science fiction is for you, well, you owe it to yourself to give this or the Mars trilogy a try.

The Gold Coast
    by Nelson DeMille
    Not sold on science fiction, even great science fiction? Then try almost anything by DeMille, this one about a moderately wealthy Long Island man and a journey that starts with the arrival of a neighbor from a very different world.

anything
    by Carl Hiassen
    Hiassen's South Florida brings together greed, corruption, and quirky heroes in a long line of hilarious novels perfect for summer reading.
    Last edited by Jeff Dieffenbach; 08-05-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added "Deep Survival"