Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Gas

This is great news. Now, all we have to do is get the kids home from school on time (as opposed to the 45+ minutes late they were today) and we're golden. That is, if they can actually all get on the bus given the number of kids who simply didn't show up on their bus/at their bus stop this afternoon (I know of at least five). [GRIN]

I waited at my bus stop (the first on the route) for 50 minutes. I wasn't pleased. I'd really like to know who was responsible for scheduling the obstructing road construction on the first day of school!

Construction aside, and I agree that was certainly additive to the issue, the fundamental problem is that there is no way the buses can pick up at the MS at 2:20, do the route and be up at CH at 2:45. It is impossible in the best of circumstances.

How will this be resolved?

Default Give it a day...

It will be interesting to see how much of a problem there is tomorrow, when construction will be completed. (Today, construction will continue, though hopefully the schools and highway department can work out some kind of mitigation).

I think at this point, we can't know how much of the problem was the construction.

Today: My kids don't take the bus.

I agree...time will tell. I still wonder about the logistics of it all as it relates to potential success...

I think the most disappointing thing was the lack of communication from the administration. We have all these listserves, and not one e-mail identifying the problem or apologizing for it. Where were Gary and Joy? What happened to better communication?

Kudos, though, to Heather Pineault for driving around to bus stops on (at least) some of the South side of town and letting people know. I wonder why others on the SC who were up at the schools weren't so proactive...

Can't argue with there. Communication about what was going on would have been and would be helpful.

The timetable between MS/HS and ES dismissal does seem tight. I wonder why they didn't hold the ES schedule the same, and move K later...

ES gets out much later than half-day K does (2:45 vs. Noon, I think). Not sure how that would help.

If ES got out at 3pm like last year, there would be no problem getting the buses there on time from the MS/HS routes.

Unless I'm not considering something - couldn't K have been moved to a later start (say 9:15 or 9:30) without interfering with anything?

Oh, now I understand your point. Two thoughts:

*The school day is a negotiated period of time. That, to my understanding, cannot be changed. Yes, we could have left times alone and let the ES day go from 8:45-3:00pm which would have made the bus situation more tenable.

*However, I'm not sure moving K to 9am or beyond works for several reasons. Union negotations may or not impede that from happening, but more importantly, working parents cannot wait until that late to get their kids into schools or on to busses.

You may well be right. I'm guessing (completely just guessing) that the contracts wouldn't stop a 15 minute shift in the K day, but perhaps the consideration was that of working parents' schedules.

If there is no slack in the schedule, then let's hope they can work those bus routes pretty quickly, and I guess it will be tomorrow before we have a good sense of it.

It is Thursday, the construction is gone, and the busses are late (leaving CH at 3:05-3:10pm instead of 2:45pm). A little less late than yesterday and the day before, but late, nevertheless. There are now rumors (I have no idea if they are true or not) that at least one additional bus is being contracted by the town at a cost of $45k.

I'd be curious to understand the truth about how this situation is being addressed and at what cost. That way we continue to account for the "true" savings of the "reconfiguration".

Jeff D has been unusually quiet on the subject...

I heard this morning that there were some complaints from the parents picking up at Loker BASE @ 3pm. As a result, there may be a new bus put in place @ 3pm for Loker BASE. Is this true? If so, what issues have been identified?

Well, Friday has come and gone and the busses from CH were late, again. Not saying that there is not an attempt to fix this, but if there is, it is not being communicated to parents. The only communication from Dr. Burton's office was the classically understated summary of week one which noted that "with the exception of a few bussing issues" everything is going great".

Jeff D.'s silence is either quite telling here, or potentially representative of his being tied up somewhere, unable to access his computer. Jeff, you're usually one to jump right here. Can you enlighten the crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by Jen Kipp View Post
    I heard this morning that there were some complaints from the parents picking up at Loker BASE @ 3pm. As a result, there may be a new bus put in place @ 3pm for Loker BASE. Is this true? If so, what issues have been identified?
    Not sure about this, Jen. I had heard the same. At least one person I know with a BASE K student has confirmed the addition of this bus through a conversation with Dr. Burton.

What I am sure of, however, is that the K bus situation was a complete disaster yesterday. Bus "B", for example, which brings the kids from Loker to South side homes (those closest to Loker) took 90 minutes to complete its route -- with not even all the stops being used. Others reportedly took very long times as well, but I do not have the facts to support the actual length of those rides. There were parental monitors on these busses who could confirm them, however.

Let's do the math Dr. Burton style -- 195 minutes of K + 90 minutes of a bus ride home = "with the exception of a few bussing issues" everything is going great". Do you agree with this calculation? I'd really like to know...

I've been away, but as I've said before (I looked, but couldn't find the post), there are all sorts of reasons why I might be silent on a matter. Those reasons ranged from nothing to say to being away to not wanting to take the time. I might choose to give a reason, or I might not.

The details of transportation, and the fixing of problems, is squarely in the hands of our administrators. I don't have experience or expertise in the matter, and therefore have nothing to add. This is certainly not an issue that's lost on our administrators, who are working hard to find a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    I've been away, but as I've said before (I looked, but couldn't find the post), there are all sorts of reasons why I might be silent on a matter. Those reasons ranged from nothing to say to being away to not wanting to take the time. I might choose to give a reason, or I might not.

The details of transportation, and the fixing of problems, is squarely in the hands of our administrators. I don't have experience or expertise in the matter, and therefore have nothing to add. This is certainly not an issue that's lost on our administrators, who are working hard to find a solution.
    I think they are working to find a solution, Jeff. They have to. Current performance is way past the acceptable stage.

I ask for your opinion, however, on why the extremely limited communication? Why not use the listserves to send e-mails to parents that busses are running late, what time they leave schools, etc. Why not come out and tell people that they realize this is a signficant problem instead of a "minor bussing issue?" I'm certain that you, as a member of the SC, would be troubled by this element of the problem when we have all the technology in place to communicate better? Isn't that stated goal of the SC -- better communication?