Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Is the website WaylandSchoolCommittee.org legal and appropriate?

No idea why that changed. When I get a chance, I'll take a look.

In theory, updated back to WSC/41 Cochituate Road, but not sure how long it will take for the correction to propagate.

Why had it changed to anonymous?
    Who changed it?

I had assumed that you did, as you were the administrator in February and this was around the time of the new job that led to your departure from the SC. I assumed it had something to do with that.

Am I wrong?
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

Still no idea why it changed. I didn't actively make the change. Perhaps I overlooked an administrative email announcing that it was going to change.

Well, that IS odd. They don't make changes like that without it being requested.

I just tried Tucows for you to get some explanation, but didn't get very far, as I'm not the account holder.
    You might try giving them a call.

Would you please find out how / why this happened?
    John Flaherty

I don't plan to spend any time tracking down why the domain information changed. If the School Committee chooses to pursue this red herring, they are of course free to do so.

Domain registration information has little to no value when the site itself has contact information--as the Wayland School Committee web site always has--clearly indicating who controls it and who to contact with questions, comments, and concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    I don't plan to spend any time tracking down why the domain information changed. If the School Committee chooses to pursue this red herring, they are of course free to do so.

Domain registration information has little to no value when the site itself has contact information--as the Wayland School Committee web site always has--clearly indicating who controls it and who to contact with questions, comments, and concerns.
    Jeff,

If you did not specifically request this change, then it's possible the site was hacked.
    This really should be looked into.
    John Flaherty

Possible, but it's more likely that I simply missed an email. The site password is narrowly held, the site password remains in effect (I just changed it), there's been no alteration of site content, and there's been no report of abuse of email from the site. Again, I don't plan to spend any time pursuing why the registration information changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    Possible, but it's more likely that I simply missed an email. The site password is narrowly held, the site password remains in effect (I just changed it), there's been no alteration of site content, and there's been no report of abuse of email from the site. Again, I don't plan to spend any time pursuing why the registration information changed.
    Jeff, according to Tucows, if there was an email that you missed, it was their confirmation of your request to add Domain Privacy to the account on February 26, 2010 at an additional cost of $8.99 per year, because they don't change a customer's account to private without being asked to do so.
    John Flaherty

Quote Originally Posted by John Flaherty View Post
    Jeff, according to Tucows, if there was an email that you missed, it was their confirmation of your request to add Domain Privacy to the account on February 26, 2010 at an additional cost of $8.99 per year, because they don't change a customer's account to private without being asked to do so.
    I had something like this happen on one of my sites a couple of years ago. I also find that sometimes settings mysteriously change, like my Freecycle email setting occasionally gets reset from "all emails" to "email digest" without me doing anything. It's really annoying, but you can't always determine a cause.

Of course flukey things do happen.
    But not this type of thing.
    According to Tucows, it is virtually impossible for a listing on WhoIs to accidentally be moved from being publicly listed to being private.

To make a URL a Private Domain is a multi-step process that can only begin with a request from the customer to add “Domain Privacy” to their account.

As part of the set-up process, the customer must pay $8.99 for this optional service.
    John Flaherty

Hi John,

Since Jeff has indicated he took no action to make the private registration happen, and as I can think of no reason why he should want to switch the registration to private, I'd be inclined to take him at his word.

A plausible reason I can imagine is that private registration was set to auto-renew, and then when it auto-renewed the information reverted to private. That would be consistent with what you were told (auto-renew would be a lot like a request to add domain privacy) and with the sort of thing that has occurred in my own personal experience. When I checked the whois info on the domain, I noticed that the end of February date the information got switched is very close to the anniversary of the date the site was originally set up.

While it is nice of Kim to step in and provide personal experience and theories as to how this happened, I think it would be better all around if Jeff would respond to these questions himself.

To be clear, this was not a private registration that was set to renew. It was a publicly listed registration, which was then changed at the request of ....(?) to a Private Domain.

So, the question remains, who requested this change, and why? Jeff, could someone else on the committee have done this for you?
    John Flaherty

I apologize if I haven't been clear enough. I never intended to change the registration information from that of the WSC to anonymous. If I did so inadvertently, the error has been corrected. But make no mistake, that error, if I made it, had no impact whatsoever on anything substantive.

I can think of no reason why I would have made the change intentionally, particularly because I was the one who recommended that the School Committee change it from my information to WSC information back when this issue was first raised. Moreover, to date, no one has yet come up with a single credible reason why this matters. Contact information for the School Committee is and has always been clearly present on the WSC home page--there is no practical need that I can think of to track down contact information via WHOIS.

To put a point on this last statement, compare for instance such sites as soswayland.com and waylandtransparency.com. Those sites existed--briefly in the first case, for roughly two years in the second--without any identifying information on the sites themselves. Regarding soswayland.com, the site owner even went so far as to hide the registration information available via WHOIS. John, these are the sites you should be exploring, not waylandschoolcommittee.org.

I think that I have been clear on one other matter: I have no plan to learn more from the web host or anyone else as to why the temporary removal of WSC registration information happened.

Jeff,
    There are very specific and deliberate steps a website owner must go through to convert to a Private Domain. For you to have changed it inadvertently is simply not plausible.
    While a public information request could settle it once and for all, I’d like to think we can figure it out right here.

Here are a few possible explanations for how this might have happened:
    1. Another member of the SC changed it for you.
    2. Someone outside the committee that is in possession of the username and password changed it.
    3. You actually did change it yourself, but have simply forgotten that you did.

Please give it some thought, check your records and let us know. I’m sure there’s a logical explanation to this.
    John Flaherty