Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 171

Thread: Is the website WaylandSchoolCommittee.org legal and appropriate?

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Is there a particular reason why John is harrassing Jeff on this moot point? I'm curious about why there is such an accusatory tone to John's postings. Is there some reason that I just don't get?

    -C

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Harassing? Accusatory?
    Nah.

    Persistent, maybe.
    John Flaherty

    Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    96

    Default

    I'd like to believe that, but I don't. John's question has been sufficiently asked and answered. By continuing ad nauseam, he'll reach the point where Jeff had had enough (I know that I have) and declines to respond further.

    Then John will start asking "What's Jeff hiding?"

    Give it a rest ....

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    448

    Default

    My question has certainly been sufficiently asked- Who moved the School Committee website to an anonymous server and why? - but I’m surprised that an attorney would consider these to be sufficient answers:

    “No idea why that changed. When I get a chance, I'll take a look.”

    “Still no idea why it changed. I didn't actively make the change. Perhaps I overlooked an administrative email announcing that it was going to change.”

    “I don't plan to spend any time tracking down why the domain information changed”

    “… more likely that I simply missed an email. …. Again, I don't plan to spend any time pursuing why the registration information changed.”

    “I apologize if I haven't been clear enough. I never intended to change the registration information from that of the WSC to anonymous. If I did so inadvertently, the error has been corrected.”


    Here’s what it says on the hosting company’s (Tucows) website about Private Domains:
    All domain owners are required to have full and valid contact information listed in the WHOIS database. This is part of the registration agreement and failure to do so can result in having your domain name deleted.
    Some types of domains do allow you to have placeholder information of another company as the domain owner. Speak to your Provider about “WHOIS Privacy” and if this service is available for your domain.


    Clearly, someone who has the username and password to the Wayland School Committee website contacted Tucows and made the arrangement to go

    from this:
    Wayland School Committee
    41 Cochituate Rd.
    Wayland, MA 01778
    Phone: 508-358-7701

    to this:
    Contactprivacy.com
    96 Mowat Ave
    Toronto, Ontario
    Postal Code:M6K3M1
    Canada
    Phone:+1.4165385457


    In addition, that person paid the $8.99 fee that Tucows charges to provide such a service.


    Far from harassing Jeff, I’ve given him a few plausible explanations to look into to see if they might lead to the answer.
    This change did not occur on its own.
    John Flaherty

    Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Your perseveration demonstrates my point.
    You may not like the answers that Jeff has given, but he's given them. And since I consider your motives suspect, I hope that Jeff will not encourage you by bothering to address this matter further.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perlman View Post
    I consider your motives suspect...
    Yes, I'm s pretty shady character, Steve. Just ask anyone who knows me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perlman View Post
    You may not like the answers that Jeff has given, but he's given them.
    What he has given is non-answers. Again, as a lawyer, I would think you would see that very clearly. Would you accept these answers in court?

    I don't know what the answer is and I don't have any motives other than getting to the truth, but the explanation that the company may have made a change and sent out an email about it that Jeff missed is completely implausible, for the reasons that I have perseverated.
    John Flaherty

    Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Flaherty View Post

    for the reasons that I have perseverated.
    Nice word John.

    Perseverated: To manifest or experience perseveration.
    Perseveration: Uncontrollable repetition of a particular response, such as a word, phrase, or gesture, despite the absence or cessation of a stimulus, usually caused by brain injury or other organic disorder.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Downs
    Nice word John.
    Actually, we can thank Steve for introducing that word to this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perlman
    Your perseveration demonstrates my point.

    But we can thank you for your continued insults.
    John Flaherty

    Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    117

    Default

    John,

    Sorry to disagree but I did not intend to insult you. I just thought your use of the word was ironic based on the context of this recent discussion.
    If you find it insulting, my apologies, but maybe you should choose your vocabulary a little more carefully.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BTDowns View Post
    but maybe you should choose your vocabulary a little more carefully.
    Even as you apologize, you continue to insult.

    Yes, I DID know what it meant when I mimicked back the word that Steve, not I, introduced to this thread.
    John Flaherty

    Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    117

    Default

    John,

    Again sorry to offend you. I am surprised that you used that word knowing what it meant even if Steve introduced it to this thread. That being said I was intending to point out the irony not insult you.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    165

    Default

    This thread is somewhat reminiscent of a bully verbally pushing around others in the playground. You claim you're looking for the "truth". In a nutshell, who cares? I certainly don't, and I'll bet (other than you) no one else on this board does either. WHOIS is not exactly the definitive source of truth (although some might think it is, something like Wikipedia or personalized spam). I would think that the name of the URL itself is fairly self explanatory, combined with the content of the website itself. Maybe you don't like what you see, but hey, this is a free speech country last time I checked, and harassing (oops -- do I mean "perseverating"?) Jeff seems like an unnecessary (or some might say "suspect") thing to do.

    I know you'll have a snappy comeback John - so fire away.

    -C

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    726

    Default

    I would love to see the discussion evolve into something more useful and productive.

    Seems to me that the key point is that ownership of the domain itself is not in question, and that Jeff has indicated that he doesn't see any reason to have changed the domain, and that if he did it, he did not do it on purpose. What more is he supposed to say?

    Look, waylandenews.com is privately registered. Is anyone going to complain about that? I did it at the recommendation of a GoDaddy guy when I was on the phone with him. I was going to remove privacy a couple of years ago, and they talked me into leaving it on saying we would get less spam that way. Not sure if it that's really true, but it's not expensive, so why take the risk? The "About Us" section of the site is pretty clear regarding who runs it, and therefore, the whois information is not useful.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    448

    Default

    There is nothing “more useful and productive” for this discussion to evolve into. It is finished.

    Jeff says that maybe he inadvertently signed up for privacy on this account and that he doesn’t want to talk about it any more.

    I have pointed out numerous times that it is virtually impossible to inadvertently sign up for a service of this type, so someone had to have called the hosting company, requested the change and paid the $8.99 to make it happen.

    No one else here seems to be bothered by that discrepancy.

    People can draw their own conclusions.

    There’s nothing more to say, and there are more important things to talk about.

    John Flaherty

    Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    96

    Default

    I'd add only that the most useful achievement for Mr. Flaherty on this thread is that he's now learned the difference between "persevere" and "perseverate".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •