Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Is the website WaylandSchoolCommittee.org legal and appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
    The site does not such thing. It collects email addresses with an explicit opt-in. That's an important distinction.

What is wrong with the disclaimer being either lengthy (if 22 words rises to that level) or carefully crafted?
    Jeff, I think its a fine disclaimer, a well worded one, well crafted and one that makes you feel good about doing this. And you know, if I weren't a Wayland taxpayer, I would feel good about you feeling good.

Funny I didn't see a disclaimer on the ConCom or Police or Fire or Board of Health or Landfill or Tresurer or Collector or Assessor or Selectmen websites? Huh? Why not?

Don't they want to feel good too?

At the risk of being pedantic, I'll point out that there's a fundamental difference between *referencing* a post that's elsewhere and *repeating* a post that's elsewhere.
    You chose to fork the original thread; I chose to make it easy for readers of both threads to see my response.

In the latter case (*your* transgression), you force a responder to either respond twice or run the risk that people think you aren't responding in one of the instances.
    Let me introduce you to the concept of copy and paste. After composing your response in the first thread, copy that response to the clipboard-equivalent on whatever operating system you're using; then open a response to the second thread, paste the clipboard's contents, and submit. This can be accomplished in ~6 gestures.

Dave

Default Clarifying threads

There seems to be some confusion regarding where to post.

Perhaps what is needed is some post reorganization. There are two relevant threads - one on the Charlie Schlegel email, and the other on domain confusion (waylandschoolcommittee.org and waylandmass.us).

I try not to move posts around, but it may be warranted here. Would there be any objection to me dividing the posts into those two topics? I would like to avoid the multiple post issue (see Link 1 and Link 2 from the Town Crier for a great example of how this can get out of hand. I'll reorganize over lunch if I haven't heard any objection in the meantime).

Kim Reichelt
    posting as Administrator

Default Reorganization...

Hearing no objections, I tried dividing the posts into two categories (one about the Charlie Schlegel email, the other about domain names), but found the mix of posts were even more confusing than when I started, so I split them into three categories instead (email, waylandschoolcommittee.org and waylandmass.us). There are a few posts that cross the line, or that really aren't on any of those topics (e.g., some are about reconfiguration issues), but I did the best I could. If anyone objects to where their post has landed, please private message me, and I'll do my best to make adjustments.

Default Alan

Your post on the private wickedlocal website was quite interesting but you have chosen not to respond to HappyClay. Why not?

Default Ben

There are no further details to report at this time.

By the way, for those following the "debate" about the registration and use of the Wayland School Committee Web site, you may be interested in the portion of the thread here beginning with post #16.

Should there be any more questions directed my way, I'll answer them back here.

I'm moving this conversation back from the "ConcernedSchoolParentsOfWayland" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJReiss View Post
    Jeff,

As you are quite aware, I was the one that filed the OCPF complaint about your private ownership and control of the WSC.org site.

They never answered us in writing but rather then called each of us and explained what they were thinking.
    Actually, they did answer parts of this in writing--see Post 29 of this thread.

In summary:

1. Since the site holds itself out to be the WSC site and there are no others then the site whether owned by you, controlled by you or not IS the official site and therefore, liable under the rules of campaign and finance. So your actions on that site must conform to all of the rules and laws just as if the site were the actual personal intellectual property of the town.
    That more or less approximates what I heard. When I asked the OCPF representative how this could be given that the WSC site is self-funded and not publicly funded, she was unable to answer. So, it's not clear to me whether the OCPF wants what you've written to be true, or actually thinks that the law supports this position. This "disconnect" *may* be why they did not put their answer in writing, but that's pure speculation on my part.

This means to me that if you decided to use the site in a way that pushed the limits either via unsolicited email outreach ...
    To be clear, only having to do with ballot questions.

... or bringing back the blog that you moved off of that site a while back ...
    I don't know of any reason why the blog (available here) would trigger any sort of OCPF violation, as it was a solicited communication. The inclusion of information about ballot questions would be the only thing that would even remotely put it within the OCPF's purview, and like the WSC site and communications, ballot questions made up a relatively small fraction of the blog.

... or any number of other actions that would turn the primary purpose of that site beyond advocacy to campaigning (which is still nebulous to me) then the town would be at risk... perhaps you would be too.

This being said, I still would prefer WSC.org to be a Wayland property in total... controlled and funded by Wayland and I agree with Dave on this concept too.

You could still be the site manager and the town would get the benefits of your labor. But unless something else forces you to change this then I just don't see that happening.

Now what could force you to change this?

If you are not re-elected then the WSC.org site is still yours but it would be ridiculous for it to continue to be the WSC official site so the right thing to do would be to turn it over...
    Which I will promptly do, unless the Committee wishes me to continue to administer it while I teach them how to administer it or they decide to move the content elsewhere.

If you were re-elected but one other party was elected and that party did not want to recognize the WSC site (as it is) to be the official site then you would be hard pressed to continue it as it is and say that this site is the official site of 4 of the 5 SC members....
    This is an interesting question. When the Committee votes by some quantum other than unanimous, that vote still becomes the official position of the Committee. By this logic, if 3 Committee members wished to continue to use the site, I would think that they would be in the right to do so. In such a case, it would be appropriate to consider adding a notation to the site to indicate the "split."

In either case (above) you would have to make a change.. I would think.
    But I guess that you will cross that bridge when you get to it.
    Given today's date, I think that we are all squarely on the bridge. We just don't know what's on the other side yet.

Default Speaking of who owns what website....

As long as we're on the subject of website management and ownership, I thought it might be appropriate to revive this thread and find out who is maintaining the School Committee website now that Jeff Dieffenbach has stepped down.
    John Flaherty

Any views expressed are NOT mine alone.
    Wayland Transparency - Facts Without Spin
    http://www.waylandtransparency.com/

I've offered to be the web master for www.waylandschoolcommittee.org and maintain the site as directed by the School Committee.

And what was their reply?
    John Flaherty

I've made a few site updates (such as adding Beth Butler's contact information), and I've sent at least one newsletter.

I've made a few site updates (such as adding Beth Butler's contact information), and I've sent at least one newsletter.
    But my question was, what was their reply to your offer.
    Did they say yes to the idea?
    John Flaherty

By definition, yes--the practice of the School Committee has long been that it decides on what gets posted. In the same way that I would only post per the direction of the Committee while I was a member, I would not post without being so directed (as was the case for the Butler change and the recent newsletter).

Default What gives?

Jeff,
    After pressure a year ago from some citizens, you changed the registrant name and address of the Wayland School Committee website from your own to the SC, using the Town Building as the street address.

As of last February, according to whois.com, the name is now anonymous and lists a street address in Toronto.
    Why?

Here's a paste from the whois page:

Domain Name:WAYLANDSCHOOLCOMMITTEE.ORG
    Created On:09-Mar-2002 18:03:19 UTC
    Last Updated On:26-Feb-2010 13:30:10 UTC
    Expiration Date:09-Mar-2011 18:03:19 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)
    Registrant ID:tuwWZtg1bH6frR8L
    Registrant Name:contactprivacy.com
    Registrant Organization:Contactprivacy.com
    Registrant Street1:96 Mowat Ave
    Registrant Street2:
    Registrant Street3:
    Registrant City:Toronto
    Registrant State/Province:ON
    Registrant Postal Code:M6K3M1
    Registrant Country:CA
    Registrant Phone:+1.4165385457
    Registrant Phone Ext.: