Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
As has always been my intention, and as I have said several times of late, when I leave the Wayland School Committee (WSC) for whatever reason, the domain www.waylandschoolcommittee.org will belong to the Committee, just as it does now.
Well, to "belong to the committee" in spirit, is one thing.
But, the reality is, the URL is registered in your name. You own it, not the Committee. You are the sole owner of the URL.
Who would take care to transfer ownership of the name, and to whom would it be transferred?

Also realistically, who would maintain and update it?
As far as I know, the only current member that has both the skill and the interest in doing that is you.

Would Louis go on there and upload new information to the site? Or would Heather, Barb or Deb regularly update and maintain the site, as you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dieffenbach View Post
The WSC site no more "circumvents the law" than does, well, providing stickers to voters to facilitate a write-in campaign for public office, to cite just one example pulled randomly from the air.
Bad example, Jeff.
The stickers that Jeff Baron used, which of course you "randomly pulled from the air", were not only legal, but they are encouraged.
As you know, a write-in candidate is at a severe disadvantage by not having his/her name on the ballot. One way they are allowed to even come close to having a fair chance against candidates whose names are imprinted on the ballot, is to have pre-printed stickers which help all parties concerned to ensure that the name is legible and correctly spelled.

A better example would be Cynthia's Cheat Sheet - the list of who and what to vote for that was widely circulated by individuals, where care was taken not to imprint the name of the organization that Cynthia is a leader in, on the sheet itself.
While perhaps legal, this could easily be perceived as circumventing the law, because the same cheat sheets would have been illegal if the organization's name were imprinted on them and many of the individuals handing them out were widely known around town as volunteers of the organization.