Conversion to Digital TV now scheduled for June 12

If you have an older television with a traditional antenna and have not yet purchased your conversion box, you now have until June 12. Federal Law requires that all full-power television stations stop broadcasting in analog format and broadcast only in digital format. The “boxes” (coupons available to help offset the cost) convert the digital signal back to analog format so you can continue to use your television. To request a coupon, call 888-388-2009 or make a

request on-line

Share:

3 thoughts on “Conversion to Digital TV now scheduled for June 12

1. I think I might go out on a limb and suggest that the majority of Wayland residents either have cable (which obviates the problem), or have replaced the their old CRT televisions (the thick ones with a pictiure tube) with LCD or plasma flat-panel TVs, at least for their principal TV in the family or living room.

What remains, I would bet, is a raft of older, smaller CRT sets in bedrooms, and other secondary locations in the house, as well as one or two (or more) sitting in the attic. I have (I think) four such sets in my house.

Where is one to dump these old sets? The town dump wants $25 (or is it more now?) to recycle a CRT set. I propose a summer “moratorium event” where we could bring all these CRT sets to the landfill where some contractor can take them all, with the hope that the economy of scale would reduce the per-set cost to something reasonable, like $10 or less.

2. There are occasional electronic recycling events where you can bring these things in less expensively, and often the funds raised go to charity. I’ll be on the lookout for these, and post them whenever I find them. If you hear of any that you don’t see posted here, please pass the information along!

3. I dropped off a TV last weekend and I must correct myself. The fee for dumping a TV is $15. Better, but I still believe this should be free until the digital conversion.

Leave a Reply (full real name required)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *