Thread: True Enough

Default True Enough

"Picture yourself at a college football championship game. Cheering fans of both teams clog the stands. The play is rough, and the crowd is fed up. Supporters of each side insist that their own guys are playing fair but the other team is clearly breaking the rules. How can both sides be right? According to the surprising insights of True Enough, they are: when sports fans claim to see only the opposing team playing dirty, that really is what they 'see.' It is a classic example of how our deeply held beliefs can supplant our very perceptions of what's 'real' and what's not in the world around us. And as Farhad Manjoo explains, the phenomenon holds sway in areas far removed from football."

So reads the beginning of the inside book jacket copy of salon.com writer Farhad Manjoo in his excellent new book, "True Enough," which I offer without any further comment except to say that I hope he means real football and not the American version.

Default Dinosaurs from Birds

I like the recent Discovery Channel segment on manipulating genes in chicken embryo to cause ancient traits appearing in early phases of chicken embryo development. Feathers were turned to scales. Vertebrae appeared like the backbones of Stegosaurus and the most mind numbing of them all.

Teeth growing from beaks when viewed under a microscope had the same shape, angle, spacing and surface curvature ratios as fossilized Tyrannosaurus and VelociRaptor.

They said that we were perhaps 50 years away from creating a genetic sequence event stream which could, in theory, produce a living dinosaur from chicken eggs.

Now I'd pay money to see the end product of that.

Didn't you learn anything from Jurassic Park?! [grin]

Default The T-Rex Pen

Jeff,

I did learn a lesson from Jurassic Park.

Don't make cages based on high voltage electricity and also run by electronic computers. That stuff goes down, especially on little islands off of Central America.

Make your cages from deep holes in the ground where the animals can't jump out.

Gravity never turns off.

I'll let you know when the tickets are available. We can make it an outing.