Thread: Socks for the homeless

Default Socks for the homeless

Hi all,

There is an amazing organization in Boston called Boston Health Care for the Homeless. They are doctors, nurses, and other health professionals who volunteer their time and expertise to give Boston's homeless population the health care they so desperately need.

Once a year they do a "Sock Drive" to collect new clean socks for distribution to the homeless. Apparently clean socks are very hard to come by on the street, and yet they make a huge difference.

I had hoped to organize a Wayland sock drive this year to help collect socks for this very worthy cause. Unfortunately, it looks like I will be moving out of the state sometime this year, so I'm not a good candidate.

I need help! Is there anyone reading this who might like to help out with this?

Please call me: 508-358-7847, or email: bcarter@artswayland.org.

Thanks!

Barbara

Barbara,

This is a terrific initiative. If someone is interested in heading it up (perhaps a good Community Service project for a high school student?), I can help out with publicity (the WaylandeNews home page/newsletter).

Barbara, do you have any more information on the organization? Do they have a website?

Regards,
    Kim

Thanks for the quick reply Kim! It would be great to have a blurb about this on the eNews home page.

The Boston Health Care for the Homeless web page is: http://www.bhchp.org/. There isn't anything there yet about the Sock Drive, which will be during the month of May. Things are still in the planning stage right now.

I think a Wayland sock drive could be a fantastic project for a high school student, or perhaps a group of students! What would be the best way to get in touch with students who might be interested?

Barbara

Barbara, I'll get the details for you and post back (probably Monday).

Regards,
    Kim

Hi again,

Just thought I'd bump this back up to the top.

Anyone got suggestions?

Thanks,

Barbara