Thread: Endorsing Candidates

Default Endorsing Candidates

I have been hearing alot of criticism regarding people sharing their personal endorsements with friends and neighbors. This has been common practice in previous elections and I don't remember people having a problem with it. I don't see it dissimilar from lawn signs or lapel buttons! I think it is a great way to get important dialogue sparked. We should all encourage our friends, who may not be as involved, to have their vote counted. Sharing your views can encourage interest and participation.

Let's not label individuals belonging to any larger group (be it political, religious, neighborhood, club, etc.) in order that they must give up their right to share their personal support for a candidate. We are all individuals first and with such a wide spectrum of views, there is never full consensus on a perfect slate. Where we strongly agree on one candidate or issue, we may vehemently disagree on another.

Luckily, Wayland is more diverse than ever, and with that comes a variety of perspectives within any given group. Let's not assume that all in a particular group must share the same endorsements and moreover, be sure not to deny anyone their right to respectfully share their personal views.

Default Jeff Baron

I agree, for the most part. The only difference is that when in an individual is a named "co-head" of a group whose sole purpose it is to advocate politically, the perception is that any individual endorsement is really that of the group. I understand the right of the individual, but it is impossible to get the two disconnected for many.

I would say a better stance would be to remain publicly (at least in written form) neutral in such a situation. That way, you allow your group to remain focused on the issue important to you and not create an unnecessary division in the public.

Endorsement is also a bit tricky for elected officials. For instance, a board member might wish to endorse an incumbent (or a challenger), but not wish to create any post-election ill will on his or her own board, or on that of a board with which the official's board interacts.

I've generally steered clear of endorsing candidates. Ballot questions are a different matter--I suspect that it will surprise no one that I endorse both the operating override and the debt exclusion. Unlike some in town, I can't find a rationale that would have me support the "Through the Looking Glass" notion that failing the override will make our schools more competitive (unless the missing piece to that contention is "more competitive with lower performing schools").