Thread: The wonderful things about Loker School

Default The wonderful things about Loker School

I am a Happy Hollow parent who has quietly read all of the Town Crier blogs of the past few weeks and grown more and more disheartened. The Wayland I grew up in and have loved for over 40 years is not a town where neighbors recklessly shoot nasty barbs at one another and seek to publicly crucify elected officials for unpopular decisions. An out-of-towner reading the Crier blogs would surely believe otherwise.

I understand and respect the grieving process which comes along with giving up a beloved school; however, I know that many people from all three school communities have expressed eagerness to move on with the process of integrating students. Next fall, Happy Hollow and Claypit will each be welcoming a large number of Loker students who are used to certain routines, protocols, and traditions which may or may not be in place at these schools. By analyzing what works well at HH and CH, adding the positives from Loker, and rethinking some school norms, the unfairness of the situation might be lessened; ALL students will experience a new school environment.

Loker families, please share some thoughts about what it is that makes your community special, and any suggestions you may have for how to make the HH and CH communities most comfortable for your children. For example,

- What routines are especially great at Loker and should be preserved? (I've heard "morning meetings" mentioned, but don't know much about them).
    - What is special about the teacher/student relationships?
    - Is there any creative way teachers have handled feedback to parents?
    - Are there holiday celebrations or traditions which the kids enjoy and might not happen at the other two schools?
    - The play structures have been an area of debate, so which areas of the Loker playground have been the most loved?
    - Any special interior touches (short of that comfy couch in the lobby!) which could be imitated?

These are just some ideas running through my own mind, but I know there are hundreds of ideas out there to explore. I feel I can speak on behalf of the HH parent community in saying we do not feel smug about our school being chosen to remain open. The duty falls not only on the shoulders of the teachers and administration to make transplanted families feel at home, but also on us. The Wayland school community at large has proven itself very powerful in the past, and we can certainly harness some of that power to make this transition as smooth as possible.

Default Idea for a committee/ Margie Cohen

I think Chris 's ideas are awesome. I would like to take it a step further and form a committee made up of HH,Loker, and Claypitt parents to promote unity between the schools. This group could share ideas, plan events for the whole school system, and even have student representatives speak. What do people think?

Unhappy Thank you Chris and Margie

I really appreciate your kind words and gesture of friendship - this has been a very hard time for the Loker community, on many levels, and the open invitation is heartwarming. I do agree there needs to be some community building and certainly repair to strained relationships. Although I know I don't speak for the whole Loker community ( a pretty diverse group), I personally find not knowing which community our family will find ourselves in next year particularly troubling. It is hard to know what to say to the kids, and some of the well-meaning but premature "introductions" lead the kids to think they have a choice, when they don't. It's a bit like shopping when you are broke. It not just the adults who feel raw now, my kids are pretty stressed about not knowing where their friends and teachers will be next year; I hope your warm invitation is still available when we actually know what will become of our community.

Default unity

Hi
    My hope is that this committee will involve both claypitt and Happy Hollow so no matter where people are going the information will be shared by all and hopefully incorporated by all so that all the schools feel comfortable and homey to all children. I think it could be a wonderful opportunity to have the families come together before middle school. I know when I attended my daughters 8th grade washington trip night I felt like I was at someone else's school. I did not know the majority of kids in the slides or the parents that sat beside me. I would love to know more people from both schools. Other than sports teams I have had very little opportunity before this to get this to happen.

Default Thanks for responding, Jane

I'm so glad to hear that you're open to partnering to make sure the best of Loker is not lost when children are re-assigned to new schools in the coming months. We, too, feel unsettled, and I don't think that feeling will ease untill all of the student and teacher assignments are made and the realities can be visualized. However, I fear that waiting until then to begin sharing ideas will put us uncomfortably close to the end of the school year. We have a valuable chunk of time for brainstorming over the next three months, but we all seem to scatter during summer vacation. I think the kids would be best served if some ideas were shared now on an informal basis. I know there are many people at both CH and HH like myself who feel helpless to do much. Hearing about the positives of the Loker school environment would allow us to approach our PTO's and administrators to ensure that your ideas are given a voice.