Thread: 2009 School Budget Details

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2009 School Budget Details

Having been in attendance in the contentious elementary school reconfiguration meetings and discussions, I've seen summary overviews of various aspects of the budget from the FinCom Powerpoint presentation to the specifics of the savings in going to the 2 1/2 elementary school plan. However, I'd like to study the FY 2009 School Budget in its entirety but can't seem to find it after several hours of googling and such. Can someone provide the link where the total budget -- school and town, if possible -- can be found?

Thanks,
    Paul G

Default Budget Documents location

This should have at least most of what you're looking for: it's the FinCom's page dedicated to '09 budget documents.

Regards,
    Kim

Default School Budget Book

This is FY08, but it's the latest for which I suspect this level of detail is available: FY08 Budget Book

Thanks Kim. I've seen both of those documents in my search. I was trying to understand the detail of the school budget to see how tight it is and what areas of discretion there may be -- specifically around clubs and athletics. You raised that point in the HH/Loker newspaper link discussion and the same was said in a few SC meetings regarding the school consolidation, etc. The problem is that I can't quantify these opinions.

Default Look at the cut list

Paul, the best way to get a handle on the magnitude of the discretion might be to look at the cut list, and the savings associated with the various things that could be cut.

That's available here

SOS sent out a newsletter translating that cut list into its actual impact

It shows, for example, cutting 17 clubs at the high school
    "17 Clubs Cut - over half the co-curricular activities will be gone affecting roughly 280 students. This loss of activities will be devastating for the HS experience and the college application process. Cuts include these clubs: Language, Media Center, Model U.N., Ultimate Frisbee, Business, Literary Magazine, Study Abroad, Amnesty International, Intervention Team, Academic Decathlon, Math, Mock Trial, Science Team, Students Against Drunk Driving (SADD), Student Awareness Program (SAP), Asian Cultures and the Musical."
    On the cut list, the Schools list 20.5 co-curriculars (which I assume are somehow related to the 17 above) for a savings of $45,000.

So they clearly have to cut pretty deep (as a member of the class that started SADD and a big math fan, hard to imagine WHS without a math team or SADD) to save all of $45,000.

Default The cost of school athletics

I don't have my budget materials with me at the moment, but think that the cost of athletics for the 2008-2009 school year will be about $600k (assuming an approved override). To partially offset that amount, the schools raise about $200k in user fees.

Default Next week it is, then...

...for the budget details. I've had lots of "I don't have the details at the moment" and "look at the cut list" replies here and as responses to questions asked in various meetings over the past few months. I will attend the March 31 meeting and hopefully get the details there.

Thanks,
    Paul

Default FY09 school budget book

FYI, the FY09 school budget book is now available online at http://www.waylandschoolcommittee.org.

Default FY09 School Budget Book

Thanks for posting this Jeff. Two comments

1. Posting in pdf format ensures that the numbers are changed, but the only way this is re-usable for an analysis is if all the numbers are re-typed into a spreadhseet. Any chance of getting an Excel version of the budget book and the budget book backup

2. Two other key pieces of information would be really helpful (in Excel format of course). The past three years' budget and actual expense vs budget. Understanding the actual spend per line item over time would allow really menaingful analysis and enhance my ability to form an opinion

This data must exist as everyone seems to talk about "trends", but I'd like to understand for myself, by looking at the data, how much healthcare and pensions are really contributing to the budget over time and if the trend is increasing or decreasing, capital expenditure vs operating budget, overall operating cost per student, etc.

Thanks for any insight

Bob, I'll ask the Committee to look into both of your questions, but that won't happen before tomorrow (and probably not before Thursday).

Regarding the PDF versus XLS question, my recommendation will be to post both, with the PDF version being "official."