• Millbrook and Route 27

2 16.67%
  • Route 27 and Route 30

1 8.33%
  • somewhere else

0 0%
  • there are no dangerous intersections in Wayland

0 0%

Thread: What do you think is Wayland's most dangerous intersection?

Default What do you think is Wayland's most dangerous intersection?

Building off of that last thread about drivers, I thought it might be fun to take a little poll on intersections in Wayland. (Also, I was curious about how this poll feature works!)

I'm sure I've left off some of the worst intersections. The one I struggle with is Plain Rd. and Route 20.

I do find most drivers are actually quite courteous at Millbrook and Route 27, and I can usually go straight through that intersection without much difficulty. I do wonder why they would have taken down the "Proceed on Green" part of the sign, though apparently it wasn't "binding" anyway - it was more of a suggestion than something the police could actually enforce.
    Last edited by Kim Reichelt; 01-11-2006 at 01:55 PM.

Unhappy Cochituate side of town

because I drive predominantly on this side of town up to Old Connecticut Path 85% of the time - I can only participate fairly in the intersection from 27/126 with some confidence. By us, there is also the East Plain Rd. merging onto Rt. 30 North that is interesting. Also East/West Plain Rds. and Rt.27 are often challenging - depending on if someone wants to take a left off of Rt. 27 N onto West Plain Rd. BEFORE the person at the light on RT. 27 S goes straight and has the 'right of way' as far as the RMV laws go and there are NO arrows.

BUT rt. 27/30 is, I believe the one that has had the most accidents... and back aways I think a very very serious one too.

Over the 9 years we've been here, in the summer we can hear the increased traffic on RT. 27 not far from the Middle School, on a little side st. It certainly is becoming a commuter road more and more. Neither safe for man(woman) or dog. Kinda sad. Hope

Default Am I missing one?

Hi, new to the board (but not to town). Is the "five corners intersection" the Rt 27/20/126 by the new safety building? That gets my vote, and goat.

Paul G

Hi Paul, if you mean the intersection over by the library, I missed that one! If you meant the one right by the Public Safety Building, that would be 20 and Millbrook.

"Four Corners" is the intersection of Old Connecticut Path and 27. We called it that in the old days, back before there was a traffic light there - can you imagine that?! (and I'm not that old, either).

Let's just say this: I'm coming north on Route 27/126. I stop at the light at the intersection of Route 20. I want to take a left to go west on Rt. 20. It's at that point that I think that there isn't enough dog poo, paper bags, and matches in the world for the Highway Department or whoever is responsible for that abomination of an intersection. The fact that it's been that bad for so long is amazing. Is it that difficult to use a traffic light with a turn signal?

Angry Town Center Gets My Vote

I have to say the mishmash that's become Wayland Center has to be the worst intersection(s). The recent so-called improvements have only made it worse. Whose idea was it to remove the 126 merge with 27 and replace it with a sharp left-handed turn? Then there's the "stop" sign (which isn't a legal stop sign) where Pelham Is. meets with 126/27. This causes traffic to back up past the 127/27 so that it's even more impossible for those traveling south on 126 to move past the Library.
    Also, it seems to me that the new lights at the 20/27 intersection do have left-turn signals. Why haven't they been activated?

Default intersection feedback..

Athough the various intersections right at the center around route 20/27/126 and the safety buildings all are problematic, I would vote that the troublesome one for me is the route 20/Plain Road intersection. I think this one is particularly bad because the drivers are going faster at this point, and it makes it very difficult. If they are headed westbound on 20, they haven't reached the point where they need to slow their speed, and they often headed straight into the sun in the afternoon. If they are headed Eastbound on 20, they are ready to pick it up !

Around the Safety Building, drivers are pretty good about letting you out, but you can never quite trust them to see where they are supposed to stop when the light is red. I was hoping all would be better with designated left hand turn lanes, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Angry my life in my hands

Having shopped in the town center, I need to travel to North Wayland on 126 from route 20. I bear left at Moodz. Between the stop sign which only one lane reads and occasionally follows, and the timing of the lights, I truly do take my life in my hands as I gingerly creep forward wondering who might
    be seeing and/ or understanding the stop on red sign on my left. Help!

wbcblogger Guest

Default Reason Lights And Intersections 20/27 Are The Way They Are

In response to the prior member's inquiry:
    1. the Rt 27/126 bad turn by the library is the design requirement of the State, when they designed the project.
    2. the turn signals are not activated at Rt 20/27 because the construction and roadways are not yet completed.
    3. if you haven't noticed, the red "pseudo stop sign" at Rt 27 and Pleham Island is gone (been gone for over a month), and has been replaced by an ever-dangerous "Do Not Block Intersection" sign; many people coming out of Pelham Island do not realize this and it is dangerous.

It is my understanding that "all" of the signs in the area are requirements of the State, and, someday, the signage may be turned over to Town control.

Default "stop" sign

Thanks for the heads up on the removal of the "Stop" sign. It is true that as drivers we see what we want to or remember. I had not noticed it was gone, and now I know I'm taking my life into my hands when creeping out onto 126 from Pelham Island. Hopefully some day some more efficient traffic flow/signage will be on the way.

Unhappy The Bottom Line

Thanks for correcting my misakes regarding the old/new sign, the Town vs. The State authority to enforce the signs and so forth. I still vote for the intersection I described, be it Millbrook and 126, 27, 20 and 126/27 as the worst intersection in the town.

Unhappy Library Intersection Needs a Light!!

I agree that that area around the intersection of Rt.20 and 126/27 is the worst because there are so many possible ways of having an accident there! Particularly I think it is the worst north of Rt. 20 as so many have expressed. It seems to me the best possible help in that mess of intersections would be a traffic light installed where Rt. 126 and 27 merge (or diverge depending on your direction) which is timed with the main light at Rt. 20. If properly set this light would stop the flow of cars coming south/east from Sudbury on Rt. 27 so that cars could make the left turn from 126. This would also help the Pelham Island/ Millbrook Rd. cars make their turns or cross over. While we're at it, why not add another light there at Millbrook and Pelham Island also timed with the Rt. 20 light? (-Much better than a suggestion of not blocking the intersection.) That would clean up the whole thing. As it is, I sometimes find myself so backed up behind that stop sign at the Library I end up turning around in somebody's driveway on 126 (another dangerous move) and going around the whole mess through Plain Rd. etc. to bypass the big problem. I hate adding my bypass route traffic to that neighborhood, but my frustration makes me do it! That intersection is a real disappointment to those of us living north of it. Does anyone know why a light was not put in at the Library? Were any folks who live north of there consulted?